Spread the News to help Grow the Maniacs for 2008-09

orumom

This may make a difference to a portion of the Maniacs and for those of you with children deciding where they will be going to college.

As many of you probably know from experience, there used to be a $500 per year scholarship for the children of alumni. You had to apply in May and be one of the first, because when the fund was gone that was it. Also, if you weren't one of the lucky ones to get in on time one year, you were last in line in future years. My personal experience was that in 4 1/2 years, our son received the $500 one time.

The new Board of Trustees approved a new scholarship for the children of Alumni. Every student who has a parent that is an alumnus will receive a $1000 per year scholarship and if both parents are alumni, the student will receive $1500 per year. There won't be a limited number of scholarships for alumni. I see this as a huge change!!! There will not be a limitation on the number of students from a family that can receive the scholarship simultaneously. Some members of the Alumni Board had made the recommendation and within 24 hours, it was studied and approved by the new Board of Trustees.  I see this as a demonstration of the New Culture at ORU.

This should help in the recruitment of new ORU students and in current alumni parents of students feeling appreciated.