Renew the Vision!

ORUTerry

Mart Green met with about 400 alumni this morning and outlined a new program initiated by his family and the Board of Trustees called Renew the Vision. He said that for every dollar raised for ORU (including Athletics) in 2008, they would match it with another dollar to be used to payoff the debt - UP TO $25 million!

The $62 million gift was allocated as follows:

$30 million to paydown debt; the remaining debt would be $25 million  ($55 million less $30 million)

$32 million to upgrade/remediate facilities, pay for faculty/staff raises, new technology, marketing for new students, etc.

This is a time for all of the Alumni and friends of ORU to step up and participate. And this could also benefit the Athletic Department (which is part of the university).

God is good!

great news!

ORUTerry was there any word on what he would do w/some of ORU's assets (i.e. KGEB, CitiPlex, or the compound of houses)?

He did not mention the compound. OREA will be completely detached from the university by April 30th. Even the Prayer Partners will be gone; they are working on several options on what to do with the Prayer Tower, i.e. students using it for organized prayer vigils, etc. I wonder if we have considered 24/7 - an international prayer organization?

He said that the Citiplex would remain an asset of ORU (endowment), but there are indications that they might be evaulating whether the school wants to remain in the real estate business. Not sure now is the time to sell; wait to increase occupancy/cash flow and then sell. He did indicate that they intend to make the TV station profitable. I have heard rumors of some people they may be bringing in to run it.

If you are an alum, go to Face Place on ORU.edu and get in the Lawsuit group. I posted a long thread there about the Mart Green meeting - recapping all that was said and discussed.

Great weekend for alumni!

I agree with Terry... get involved with the ORU face place.  My suggestion is not to join the lawsuit discussion.  I'm ready to move on to bigger and better things.  Join the "Renew the Vision" group at http://www.oru.edu/alumni/faceplace/vie ... oup_id=313

The lawsuit discussion group is the largest group on the social network, but I'm ready for us to change that!  Let's over throw that group with something positive!

I really can't wait for them to reveal when and how we can start giving towards RENEW THE VISION!

I understand you can contribute through the Alumni Foundation or a specific department, such as ORU athletics. Ear mark your donation for the project you want to support (Scoreboard, dorm renovations, student center, fiber optic sonet ring for redundant voice & data communications, chapel restoration, soccer field, indoor practice facility, etc.)  It isn't just alumni who's donations will be matched, but friends of  ORU, including corporations and foundations! An equal amount will be applied to reduce the debt on City Plex until the $25 MILLION is paid off. The offer is good through the end of December.

I hear a group of alumni has already united to donate $1 million, so only $24 million to go  :lol: This is so awesome. The dorm renovations are to start this summer so that students can have refrigerators, micro waves, etc.  The quality of life for the students, facuty & staff should be greatly improved. They are looking at taking care of even the trash shoots so that the dorms don't smell. Scott Howard, on the Board of Trustees was talking about going through every building. He had even been in the basements this week to see what all needs done.

For those of you on the message board, please contact Terry Blain, Mike Minyard, Joey Odom or me, as we are all on the Alumni Board and can help you with your donation.  The matching gift goes away on Dec 31, 2008, but I put some rough numbers together so we could see how doable this is,

3334 people at $25 per month X 12 months = $1,000,200

1667 people at $50 per month X 12 months = $1,000,200

834  people at $100 per month X 12 months = $1,000,800

417 people at $200 per month X 12 months = $1,000,800

167 people at $500 per month X 12 months = $1,002,000