Women's Game Tonight - IUPUI

Bogus Smith

The women need our help to create a home court advantage tonight.  Eat your dinner, clean the kitchen and get out to the Mabee Center for a much-needed win by our women!  They need to stay tied for second place to try and secure a Saturday game.

The women need our help to create a home court advantage tonight.  Eat your dinner, clean the kitchen and get out to the Mabee Center for a much-needed win by our women!  They need to stay tied for second place to try and secure a Saturday game.

Be there or be square!

So much for home-court advantage.  Eagles down 35-14 at halftime in what's probably the worst first half of ORU women's basketball I've ever seen.  Weren't we supposed to win this game?

Ladies lose 68 - 49.  I feel badly for the team as it appears that they are really hurting - physically and team spirit.  This is definitely not the same team that lost by 3 to Creighton or beat Tulsa.  They need and deserve our help as they bring their season back together and try to get healthy.  Hopefully more  of us will come out to support them when they return home on February 2 against Centenary.

So much for home-court advantage.  Eagles down 35-14 at halftime in what's probably the worst first half of ORU women's basketball I've ever seen.  Weren't we supposed to win this game?

I was hoping for a bounce-back after the tough loss to Western Illinois last Saturday, but it wasn't to be.  In the post-game interview on the radio Coach Finkbeiner said his team was "fragile", and I think that's a good description.  I didn't really feel like there was a lack of effort, but a lack of confidence.  They were taking good shots, for the most part working the ball well, but shots were way off, especially in the first half.  Janae Voelker, who was money in the bank earlier in the season, is struggling.  Rachel Watman, who was deadly from three point range before, is air-balling it.  At halftime they had only shot 18%, while allowing IUPUI to shoot over 50%.

Jenny Hardin struggled in the first half, but came back surprisingly strong in the second half. 

Coach Finkbeiner was sedate tonight on the bench.  I suspect he's feeling his team can't handle a frustrated coach at this point, and he's hoping that his calm will settle his players.  While he looked calm on the bench, you could sense his frustration on the radio interview.  I spoke with Coach Finkbeiner earlier in the season and told him I thought this was one of his best teams, and he agreed.  I still feel that way, it's just a matter of restoring their confidence in themselves that they had six weeks ago.