Two Game Lead!

Mike Minyard

Hehe, nice! Hopefully the 2-game lead is insurmountable. If we win everything other than the IUPUI game the conference title is ours (again).

Better than the fact that we put an opponent away tonight and never had a concern about losing the lead is the fact that we are two games up.  It certainly takes some pressure off of our team when going on the road and we seem to take care of business on our home court when it comes to League opponents.

Thanks to Centenary and IPFW for protecting their home courts (places that we have already won at) and helping to make those locations places that other Summit League opponents are not going to be able to take for granted when playing ORU and Oakland on their road swings.

Quote from Ron Hunter:

"We're disappointed," IUPUI head coach Ron Hunter said. "We stress the importance of getting splits on the road in conference play. We were disappointed after the Oral Roberts game and we didn't respond well tonight.

"I guess the good news is that it's a marathon, not a sprint. We'll get back to practice and fix some things."

I wondered how the Jags might react to a close loss to ORU....

Quote from Ron Hunter:

"I guess the good news is that it's a marathon, not a sprint . . .

I think Hunter's reading our board - or more specifically, our favorite moderator :-D!

IUPUI's loss is huge - they and Oakland have yet to play each other, and each of them has to play us again, and we're already guaranteed of no worse than a split with the No. 2 and No. 3 teams in the conference (for tie-breaking purposes).

We basically have a 3-game lead on the rest of the league.

Really our guys just have to split the rest of the way on the road, and protect the home court to lock up another regular season title.  That's huge!  Not very many mid-majors can say they have played in the postseason four straight years!  Obviously the NIT is not the goal, but it's nice to know that you're season will continue after the conference tournament.

There is still a lot of basketball, and anything can happen.  Remember UMKC a few years ago?  They jumped out on everyone early to just have it slip away at the end.  Our guys still have to play.  The target on our chest is getting bigger each day.  We will get each team's best shot the rest of the way.... and that stuff rhymed a little too much.

Don't mean to be picky - but if we split on the road (3 losses) and IUPUI wins out, we obviously DON'T win the title.  However, I've said all along (and still agree) that 15-3 will win the regular season title.  In fact 14-4 might be good enough.  We are definitely in the driver's seat.  The key is to KEEP DRIVING!

I think for a long time a lot of us have been longing for the day when we would be the dominant program in the league and that the regular season championship would have to go through Tulsa (similar to the baseball program).  It appears we're either there are we're really close to where no one from the league can seriously threaten us on our home court.  We have become what Valpo was when we entered the league and that's where we belong. 

I realize we only beat IUPUI by one on Thursday night when they were missing a starter who averages 13 ppg yet the Jags still had possession of the ball the entire final minute of play with multiple shots to take the lead and potentially win the game, however we still won the game.  That's what championship team do, they weather the storms and best shots of their opponents yet still come away victorious.

The 2-game lead is awesome, and unexpected, but there are 11 games left to be played, and then 3 in the Summit tournament after that.  Southern Utah is not an easy road game, and either is IUPUI or the Dakota swing, plus Oakland at our place.

Let's just take it one game at a time.  I'm sure the coaches will make sure that the players don't get too impressed with themselves, because you are only as good as your last game.

But it was nice to beat someone by 20+ and get some reserves some playing time!