Keith Miller elected to ORU Athletic Hall of Fame

Cletus

Back in the early 90's, when I was a campus minister at California University of Pennsylvania, we took a group of students to a Pittsburgh Pirates game at Three Rivers Stadium.  The Pirates were playing the New York Mets and I was excited because Keith Miller was playing second base for the Mets at that time.  I remembered watching him play at Johnson stadium. I told the CAL U students that Keith played college baseball at ORU. 

Keith was the lead off batter for the Mets.  Zane Smith, the Pirates pitcher.  I believe it was the first pitch, but BAM, a line drive basehit up the middle for Miller.  I thought to myself.  "This is going to be a long game."  Well, that was the only hit of the game for the Mets as Smith threw a one-hitter.  I was proud that an ORU guy kept Smith from a no-hitter.  A memory I will always have.

I've been to three one-hitters, Jim Palmer (Orioles), Zane Smith (Pirates) and Bob Tewksbury (Cubs) and one no-hitter, Ramon Martinez (Dodgers).  I'd would have loved to watch another no-nitter but I'm glad an ORU player broke one up! 

Congratulations Keith on the Hall of Fame award!