rivals

ORU-sisko

CONFERENCE BREAKDOWN

SUMMIT LEAGUE

After finishing last season with just one loss in conference play, Oral Roberts hopes to continue its domination this spring. Though the Golden Eagles have a few key players to replace, they welcome back a plethora of talented players. ORU will rely on sophomore right-hander Jerry Sullivan to lead the rotation. The Eagles are led at the plate by veteran outfielder Brendan Duffy, who hit a team-leading .356 last season … In addition to having another great team, ORU coach Rob Walton earned the highest honor a few weeks ago – he was named the head coach of Team USA, which will spend the summer of 2008 entrenched in international

competition … Western Illinois and Centenary should fight for second place in the league. However, Southern Utah could surprise … The Thunderbirds need to improve on the mound, but welcome back some key offensive contributors with Bucky Aona, Keli'i Zablan and Chester Wilson … South Dakota State prepares for its first season in the Summit League. They will be ready. Like most teams this time of year, the Jackrabbits have some holes to fill. However, they do welcome back talented catcher Tony Martin … North Dakota State is led by weekend starter Jake Laber, while IUPU-Fort Wayne hopes to make an immediate splash … Oakland is another team to watch. At first glance, history indicates the Golden Grizzlies will struggle. However, new coach John Musachio should have this team ready for business. The Grizzlies welcome back talented outfielder Justin Wilson in addition to senior left-handed pitcher Matt Trausch. Oakland could lead the way in the surprise department by season's end.

Rivals.com predicted order of finish

1. Oral Roberts

2. Western Illinois

3. Centenary

4. Southern Utah

5. South Dakota State

6. Oakland

7. North Dakota State

8. IUPU-Fort Wayne

Preseason All-Conference team

1B. Bucky Aona, Southern Utah

2B. Keli'i Zablan, Southern Utah

3B. Chester Wilson, Southern Utah

SS. Adam Younger, Oral Roberts

OF. Brendan Duffy, Oral Roberts

OF. Justin Wilson, Oakland

OF. Kelly Minissale, Oral Roberts

C. Tony Martin, South Dakota State

SP. Jerry Sullivan, Oral Roberts

SP. Matt Trausch, Oakland

SP. Jake Laber, North Dakota State

RP. Dakota Robinson, Centenary

DH. Brian Van Kirk, Oral Roberts

For those who are interested. Couldn't find anything about the article online though.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... ID=1366453

The Collegiate Baseball Newspaper picked the Jackrabbits to finish second in The Summit League, SDSU's first season in the conference. Oral Roberts was the periodical's pick to repeat as conference champion.

"We are very excited about being a part of The Summit League," head coach Reggie Christiansen said. "It's certainly an honor to be picked second in the preseason poll, and it shows the respect that our program has earned since the transition."

In addition, five Jackrabbits were listed by the staff as players to watch - first baseman Tyson Fisher, second baseman Korby Mintken, right fielder Nick Adams and starting pitchers Caleb Thielbar and Robert Butler.

SDSU, which went 34-19 last season, opens the 2008 season on Feb. 22-24 with a four-game series at Central Arkansas.

COLLEGIATE BASEBALL NEWSPAPER'S PROJECTED ORDER OF FINISH

1. Oral Roberts (Okla.)

2. South Dakota State

3. Western Illinois

4. Centenary (La.)

5. Southern Utah

6. Oakland (Mich.)

7. North Dakota State

8. IPFW

I know we're in the heart of basketball season, and a lot of games to go there, but I can't WAIT for baseball to start.  I've become nearly as gung-ho about baseball as I am about basketball.  The games are fun and exciting, the weather, at least later in the season, is turning nice, and an evening at the ball park gives the sense that all is well with the world. 

BHM, I can't wait for the Jackrabbits to come to J.L. Johnson Stadium.  The facilities are starting to show their age, but the field itself couldn't be more beautiful.  For years our coaches have taken pride in maintaining it to near-perfection.  I don't think your team will find many places in the conference better to play than here - unless it would be at your home field.

Really starting to think of a baseball roadtrip to Tulsa this spring to take in some spring baseball and maybe some storm chasing. We'll see where we're at with funds at the end of Feb.

edit:  Nevermind, I hadn't checked the schedule to see we host you guys at our new field in May.

Really starting to think of a baseball roadtrip to Tulsa this spring to take in some spring baseball and maybe some storm chasing. We'll see where we're at with funds at the end of Feb.

edit:  Nevermind, I hadn't checked the schedule to see we host you guys at our new field in May.

Assuming that you're in the upper division of the League, you should consider following your team to the Summit League Baseball Tournament at JL Johnson Stadium.  It's a great place to watch a college baseball game!