Re: Coach Finkbeiner

ORUalum

i saw where the women won again today and it got me to thinking.  is there any chance that if TU fires their women's coach at the end of the year, would coach fink pull a bill self and move across town for a better pay check and better conference if TU came calling.

i went on the ORU athletics site to look at coach fink's accomplishments since taking over at ORU. 

"In the 10 years prior to Finkbeiner’s hire, ORU had managed just 85 total wins and finished only two seasons with a winning percentage better than .500.  But in the 10 years since, the Golden Eagles have won nearly twice as many contests (177) while also making the first four appearances at the NCAA Tournament in school history.

Finkbeiner has also led ORU to a three 20-win seasons; four Mid-Continent Conference tournament titles; two All-Americans; four  conference players of the year; three conference newcomers of the year; and 16 all-conference selections."

07-08 is shaping up to be another good year and he has one senior on the team (Carol Volpato), so next year's team may be one of his best.

ORU is lucky to have coach fink, i hope he feels appreciated and that he will continue to be our coach for many years to come.

totally correct and he always has the girls ready to play in the conference tourney

i saw where the women won again today and it got me to thinking.  is there any chance that if TU fires their women's coach at the end of the year, would coach fink pull a bill self and move across town for a better pay check and better conference if TU came calling.

My only answer to your question is, I hope not :-(!

I guess there is always that possibility, but I frankly hope that the recent developments off the court at ORU will result in Coach Finkbeiner staying with us for a long, long time...

Coach Finkbeiner is such a perfect fit for ORU, that I hope he stays here for a long, long time. I don't really see him as a fit for TU. Can't say that I woul dblame him for leaving if some school threw a lot of money at him though.

His record at ORU (and Southern Nazerne before that) is pretty good. He has a knack for getting his teams to peak at the end of the season. He is also not afraid to experiment with line-up and styles of play. The Mid-Con tournament game against Western Illinois a couple of years ago was a classic - face gaurding their all conference player and denying her the ball.

I hope Coach Finkbeiner stays around ORU for years to come because he is such a great fit for the university.  If he were to leave for another opportunity, I don't think it would be TU women's b-ball.

Charlene Thomas-Swinson is in her 3rd year at TU, and during her first year, she went 26-6, won the Conference USA title and went to the NCAA (first and only time for TU women's hoops ever).  So, even though she has lost more games than she has won since then, she still overall has a winning record.  I would think they would give her a 4th year, because she lost a lot of talent after her 1st year.

He did look into a job in Wisconsin last year, but I don't think he ended up interviewing, although I could be mistaken.  So, it is possible that he might take another offer if it was a good situation, but with such a good team right now that only has one senior, I doubt this would be the year that he jumps.  Although, if we make the NCAA tournament this year, knowing that the Mid-Con tourney will be leaving Tulsa after this year, it does decrease our odds a little of winning it once the games are in the Dakotas... 

Making the NCAA tournament 5 out of 11 years at a mid-major is quite an accomplishment, and I am very thankful for Coach Finkbeiner.  That's one reason why I have women's season tickets this year (and last year), and that I attend almost every home game, because this team and this coach deserve our support!  It would be nice to see the women's crowds keep trickling upward in attendance, and it would be nice to see more men's game season ticket holders add the women's season ticket package for next year.