Cowgirls conquer Eagles - Tulsa World (12-29-2007)

ORUTerry

Cowgirls conquer Eagles

By LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer

12/29/2007

(excerpt)

STILLWATER -- Danielle Green and Maria Cordero combined for 37 points as No. 24 Oklahoma State beat in-state rival Oral Roberts 83-65 Friday night at Gallagher-Iba Arena.

"Give ORU credit for playing a very good game," OSU coach Kurt Budke said. "I said it before, they are a good team. They will win their league. I wasn't very pleased with our effort tonight. I didn't think our concentration was very good. They outplayed us. The wins are nice, but we have to get to another level."

Tulsa World Sports Extra

I think it comes across in the article as a little smug for their coach to say that their team didn't play very well after beating us by eighteen.  But he does throw the dog a bone:  "They will win their league."  Nice.  Thanks. 

Fact is, ORU had won three of the last four meetings between the schools (before last night).  With last night their two wins have come at  Gallagher-Iba.  Put us on a neutral or home court, and we probably have a good chance of beating them.  ORU is more competitive with their program than their coach was letting on. 

This game also got me wondering what happened to the Berth Teague Classic - is it played every two years, or has it been abandoned?  Anybody know about that?

The 11-1 record of the Cowgirls has apparently gone to his head.  Say what you will about will about Bob Stoops - he's got his supporters and his detractors - but I've always thought him to be gracious in victory and gracious in defeat.  Kurt Budke  could learn from him.

This game also got me wondering what happened to the Berth Teague Classic - is it played every two years, or has it been abandoned?  Anybody know about that?

OU and OSU didn't like the fact that they only got to host this game every fourth year.  Although it got them an opportunity to play in front of their Tulsa fans every other year, they felt that they were important enough to dictate when their team was in a position to play in front of those fans (OU and OSU don't like losing - especially in front of a partisan away crowd that won't come see them at home if they lose in Tulsa).  Now, OU and OSU will come to Tulsa to play against the weaker sister when they and their schedule allows.

OU and OSU didn't like the fact that they only got to host this game every fourth year.  Although it got them an opportunity to play in front of their Tulsa fans every other year, they felt that they were important enough to dictate when their team was in a position to play in front of those fans (OU and OSU don't like losing - especially in front of a partisan away crowd that won't come see them at home if they lose in Tulsa).  Now, OU and OSU will come to Tulsa to play against the weaker sister when they and their schedule allows.

So it's been dropped, Bogus?  I've always thought it was a cool thing, although I've got to admit, I've only attended a handful of times.

The 11-1 record of the Cowgirls has apparently gone to his head.  Say what you will about will about Bob Stoops - he's got his supporters and his detractors - but I've always thought him to be gracious in victory and gracious in defeat.  Kurt Budke  could learn from him.

You have to remember where Budke came from.  He developed the La Tech program into one of the premier women's programs in the nation (along with Tennessee) in the 90's and had a great local/regional following.  He came to Tulsa several times and whipped up on the Hurricane girls with his talent.  When things went south for him there, he got booted and now he's attempting to show LT that they made a mistake by making it back with a Big 12 program that has some really tough teams (unlike the WAC when he was there).  He seems to be modeling an attitude for his players to follow that worked for him in the Bayou and I think he will find that the same will wear thin for others in Oklahoma after awhile.  You're right, TH, he should be looking to Bob Stoops for a model that works in this state.

So it's been dropped, Bogus?  I've always thought it was a cool thing, although I've got to admit, I've only attended a handful of times.

Yes.  2005 was the last year of the Bertha Teague tournament.  I also think that the women's program at OU and OSU felt they could draw a bigger crowd by only having it at their venues.