Valpo/Duke Nationally Televised

tmh8286

The Valpo/Duke game is on right now, on Fox Sports. Current score is 41-27 Duke. Hand it to Valpo, they're hanging in there. Oppland is almost scoring at will. Kone picked up his third foul VERY early in the first half. To me it seems like Duke is playing very uninspired. Reddick taking threes from way downtown. Duke not doing a very good job getting back on defense or helping out.

Rims appear VERY loose - a three point shot clangs off the rim - and rolls off!!

So far Valpo is really doing better than I expected. Way to go guys.

Guest Rob Marshall

Duke hung 104 points on Homer & Co. tonight due in large part to shooting 58% from the field. 104-77 was the final.

Bring on the Mid Con baby! :wink:

I didn't think Valpo looked too bad, all things considered. In fact, in spite of the 104 points that Duke dished out, I thought Valpo's defense looked better than Duke's. They were able to score 77 points on the Duke defense - they've got to be happy about that.

I didn't think Valpo looked too bad, all things considered. In fact, in spite of the 104 points that Duke dished out, I thought Valpo's defense looked better than Duke's. They were able to score 77 points on the Duke defense - they've got to be happy about that.

I'd love to agree with you Tmh, but I honestly think the defensive competition was at best even in the first half and goes to Duke in the second half.

Let me rephrase it, Stl VU Fan: I thought Valpo showed greater defensive EFFORT than Duke did. Duke's players are so athletic and so talented that they can give less than full effort and still control most teams. There were times that Oppland and Berdiel moved pretty freely along the baseline, and when some easy drives, untouched, were allowed through the middle of the lane. The Duke players almost looked like they were backing off, like they were afraid of fouling or something. I don't think that Duke would have blown out Texas like they did with that level of defensive intensity.

In that regard, I thought Valpo worked harder on defense. Coach K must have thought so, too. I found this quote from an article in Mid-Con Fans :) : "But Krzyzewski sounded irritated about his team?s subpar defensive performance in the first half.

?I thought we came more to score the ball tonight than to defend it,? Krzyzewski said. ?I?d like to do both.

?We played well, don?t get me wrong. We?ve just got to get better defensively.?

Dan Oppland played his heart out and remains as Valpo's best player in my book. I wish he played for ORU.

Dan give a great effort everynight....never takes a night off...that doesn't mean he doesn't have bad games, everyone does...but it's not because of lack of effort...that's why I think he's the MVP of the league....not taking anythng away from Caleb, who's probably more talented....but at least last year I thought had more help....not sure that's necessarily true this year so far....

In the past I haven't liked Dan Oppland very much because I thought he acted cocky. But I'm begrudgingly developing an admiration for him as he continues to play strong for Valpo. He is fairly consistently the high scorer for for the team, and he played with great heart last night. Dan plays with heart every outing, and a coach can't ask for more than that from his players.

He's not a terribly athletic player, but he uses what he has to it's utmost potential. All in all, a very solid player.

Great minds think alike, rlh. We wrote basically the same thing, though I didn't see your post until after I posted mine.

You never know - this may be Dan's year for MVP.