(Un)Realistic Expectations - Six Game Road Trip

TrueBlue82

The Golden Eagles are about to embark on a very long and difficult road trip.  They will not return to the Mabee Center for a month - and who knows what their record (and team morale) will be when they return to a friendly atmosphere???  The team (and we fans) are riding high with a 6-3 early-season record, but these fortunes could turn dramatically in the coming weeks - even with a Summit championship caliber team - and we could find ourselves starving for a win.  We should be underdogs in each of the next three games.  Texas is a HUGE challenge, and a win in Austin would be another "Kansas-style" victory.  OSU presents another steep test, as the Eagles try to give Scott a win in the "Battle of the Suttons".  Finally, Utah State is a young team, and has struggled early this season - but they still have Jaycee Carroll - and they're still playing at home - and the Aggies rarely lose in Logan.

Then, returning to Summit play - we face a vastly improved Centenary team, wanting to knock off the "King of the Summit Mountain".  Next is IPFW, playing in an arena we have never played in before.  Finally, the road trip closes with a visit to Oakland and Greg Kampe.  The Grizz have been hot and cold this season, but they will be out for revenge from last year's championship game.

My point to writing this post is this...  I believe we could very possibly (although not likely) finish the road trip with a 5-1 or 4-2 record - in which case we would all know that this is going to be a very special season, and the team is destined for great things.  However, we could ALSO return home after a 1-5 or 0-6 road trip... and STILL win the Summit League Championship and #1 seed for the tourney.  Any Summit road win is a good win, and I would not be at all surprised to lose 4-5 conference games - and this road swing could produce a couple of those losses.  If we do return 1-5 or 0-6, the media will jump on board, the fans could get restless, and the team could fall into a "funk" and lose some games at home that we simply shouldn't lose, and then our season could be a disappointment.  It's up to us as fans to make sure that we do our part to keep this team "up", even if we take some losses in the next few weeks.

My personal prediction is that we'll finish the road trip 2-4, and have an overall record of 8-7 as we return home, but that we'll still win the Summit with a 14-4 record, enter the tourney at 19-10, and enter the NCAA as a 15 seed at 22-10.  That's not bad - even with a "bad" road trip.

Great post as usual 82.

It's not that past teams didn't seem to have it - but this group seems to show a good deal of chemistry both on the floor AND the bench.

Texas        -  L    Playing in Austin, amazing athletes, great coach. Will take an Allen Fieldhouse 2006 type performance.

Utah St.    -  L     Jaycee Carroll. Guy is nails - but like 82 pointed out the USU inside game is young and if Lewis and King can go to work just maybe we can pull it out. This win would be GREAT!!!

Centenary  -  W    The days of penciling these guys as two automatic wins are over. With wins over Texas and LA Tech they are probably one of the only Summit League team who can challenge us in the paint.

IPFW        -  W    I think this is one of the largest venues in The Summit outside of Mabee... but no chance we lose. Unless we stub our toe like we sometimes do to WIU or UMKC.

Oakland    -  W  I really thought these guys would be stronger. If Kampe keeps playing this run and gun absolute zero defense (the stats really are amazing) type ball his team might just implode midway through conference.

IUPUI        -    L   Hill and company look like the real deal. As usual it will be up to our big guys to attack down low since IUPUI run those strange 4 and 5 guard sets. 

Centenary  -  W    The days of penciling these guys as two automatic wins are over. With wins over Texas and LA Tech they are probably one of the only Summit League team who can challenge us in the paint.

Texas Tech, just to clarify...the game when Bobby Knight left at halftime due to sickness.  He was sick of his team playing crappy!

Let me put it this way:  prior to the season, I picked ORU to go 0-6 through this portion of the schedule.

While that could still happen, it also would not surprise me if we go .500 on this stretch, which is ALWAYS acceptable when you're on the road.

Recipe for success:  defend your home court, split on the road, and you've got a .750 winning percentage.  In a 30-game schedule, that translates to around 22-8, which is AWESOME.

I think I saw I that on a basketball court somewhere!

I saw on the message board of one of the new schools - I think it may have been NDSU's - someone complaining that they thought that was very presumptuous.  Lutherans :|!

Texas - L

OSU  - W

Utah St. - L

Cent - W

IPFW - W

Oakland - L

That's my guess anyway.  I'm still hoping for a shocker tomorrow night.  I'll be at Dirty's yellin' and whistling as loud as I can even if they can't here me.

If you had told me in the preseason we'd be 9-6 after that far in the season I'd have said that was great with the sched. we had.  Hopefully it will be that or better.  Like Blue said though, if it isn't that good the season is not over.  There's a long way to go.

I saw on the message board of one of the new schools - I think it may have been NDSU/s - someone complaining that they thought that was very presumptuous.  Lutherans :|!

Go figure, can't even have a little fun! :-)

Go figure, can't even have a little fun! :-)

Not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here - but I went back to verify - it was actually posted on the SDSU board by filbert, their administrator.  And the remark about Lutherans comes from his post, btw  :wink:!

Not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here - but I went back to verify - it was actually posted on the SDSU board by filbert, their administrator.  And the remark about Lutherans comes from his post, btw  :wink:!

As far as I can tell, that motto is non-exclusive, and open to anyone in the arena willing to embrace it...  :-)

As far as I can tell, that motto is non-exclusive, and open to anyone in the arena willing to embrace it...  :-)

Even Lutherans???

Even Lutherans???

OK, I'll grant you this:  it apparently does not apply to Lutherans from "0-for-Tulsa-over-10-years" Valpo!  :-D