Defectors

tmh8286

BOTH The Mid-Majority and KenPom.com are reporting this week that the authors of those pages, Kyle Whellison and Ken Pomeroy, have been hired by ESPN to do work for them.

It will be interesting to see how this affects their sites, both of which are visited regularly by ORU fans. Apparently, one of Kyle's regular columns on his website has already become a part of the ESPN pay site. He admits the irony of him railing against the "system" for a year and now is a part of it!

It's a little less clear how this will affect Pomeroy's site. He doesn't really say, other than that he'll have less time to blog. I guess we'll see.

My hope is neither page starts charging for access. I understand the costs in both money and time to maintain sites like those, but as much as I enjoy them, I don't think it is enough to get me to open my pocketbook.

Let's just hope that this isn't the first step leading to the ultimate loss of two really great and useful basketball sites.

http://www.midmajority.com/blog.php?entry=442

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog ... tarted_it/

Truth is, I've been doing work for ESPN since the summer. Ken and I spent a lot of time in September and October building the most comprehensive statistical CBB system on the web (newsfeeds, schedules, real-time scores, interactive maps, tempo-free boxscores, sortable stats, etc.), which both of our sites offer for free, without ads of any kind. Anyone who calls us sellouts has to explain that away :)

I've communicated with some of you over the past year and have had great conversations about the Golden Eagles (contributing greatly to my knowledge of the team), and I wanted also to thank those of you who regularly visit for your support. TMM is not going anywhere.

Sincerely,

Kyle Whelliston

ESPN.com/The Mid-Majority

Thanks for posting Kyle.... Your site is truly impressive. My college-age son (who knows something about web sites,etc.) is also impressed - which is saying something. I use your site to research various teams (future opponents,etc.) I'm glad it will still be around.

Ken and I spent a lot of time in September and October building the most comprehensive statistical CBB system on the web (newsfeeds, schedules, real-time scores, interactive maps, tempo-free boxscores, sortable stats, etc.), which both of our sites offer for free, without ads of any kind. Anyone who calls us sellouts has to explain that away :)

Kyle, please forgive my title to this thread. I debated about changing it after I posted it, because it really didn't express what I was trying to say in the body of the post, but I thought it would generate some interest, so I left it. I HAD NO IDEA that you would actually see it!

Actually I wish you guys both the best of luck with your new endeavors. The fact that an organization like ESPN is interested in your work shows the high degree of professionalism it exhibits. I've emailed you a time or two in the past to tell you just that. I appreciate and enjoy your work!

And I really don't think you're a DEFECTOR!!!

Wow! I noticed earlier in the season (prior to the Utah State home game) that we got several message board visits from Bristol, CT (ESPN HQ)... Didn't think anybody like Kyle Whelliston would actually post though. Good job goading him into responding tmh!

I just wanted to state that I think Kyle is one of the best college basketball writers working today. Anyone who followed the 100 games project from the beginning last year can attest to that. I wish nothing but the best for his new digs.

Okay, I wanted to make sure that Kyle Whelliston saw my "retraction" posted here, so I emailed it to him. I got a nice email back this evening, saying everything was okay, that TMM is not going away or becoming a pay site, and that it was becoming a full time job for him "putting wrenches in the rumor mill."

Kyle also pointed out a new feature at the Mid-Majority - the scouting cheat sheet. It shows stats on the next five opponents - pretty cool. Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.midmajority.com/cheatsheetT.php?s=ORU