Tulsa World: ORU downs Tulsa, 84-70

ORUTex

Newcomers played like oldtimers and led Oral Roberts University to a coveted win over its biggest rival Tuesday night at the Mabee Center.

Robert Jarvis and Marcus Lewis combined for 44 points, pacing the Golden Eagles to an 84-70 win over Tulsa in the annual renewal of their Mayor?s Cup rivalry.

Full Story:  Updated: ORU downs Tulsa, 84-70]Updated: ORU downs Tulsa, 84-70

Great quote from Marcus Lewis: 

?I used the first half to get a feel for how the big 7-footer was playing defense,? Lewis said. ?And then I just started to be more aggressive. I went at him more and tried to get around him, instead of going through him. I really thought it out at halftime.?

I think I'm going to like this kid.

Yes, there's not much to be said.  Great win.  Confidence builder in a tough non-conference schedule.  Feels very nice.  It's a wonderful night to be an ORU alumnus and Golden Eagle Fan

I think he's going to exceed any expectations we had for him. Its like he found his court legs again against A&M CC... and well, he definately hasnt lost them. Now that Jarvis has learned how to pick his spots, he's just plain nasty. My favorite part of his game is that little runner he hits so often. I think having Vealy back has been HUGE for us. Did anyone notice the number of minutes he was on the court in the Lamar game? something like 34. With him around, even if Shawn gets in foul trouble, he's there to keep that defensive shot blocking threat in the post.

I have been holding my tongue all week on both mom.  :)

on a light note, I really thought that Jarvis was trying to find his way on a TEAM.  While he was a JC he shot whenever, but here at the d1 level that doesn't work as often.  I am glad we took our thumping in Texas to an extant, it looks like the guys have really come together.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, "Reports of ORU's demise - both on and off the court - have been greatly exaggerated."

Circle 11/27/07 on your calendars, people - "red letter days" don't come much sweeter than this one... :-D

Newcomers played like oldtimers and led Oral Roberts University to a coveted win over its biggest rival Tuesday night at the Mabee Center.

Robert Jarvis and Marcus Lewis combined for 44 points, pacing the Golden Eagles to an 84-70 win over Tulsa in the annual renewal of their Mayor?s Cup rivalry.

Has anybody yet figured out how in the world we are going to survive without Caleb and Ken? 

I loved the way Marcello played last night.  I think he played better defense on the 7 footer than King did and was grabbing huge rebounds in the second half.  He could have scored more, but did not have to since Jarvis and Lewis were lighting it up.