The next ORU president.

tbone77

We have been informed today by George Pearsons that Richard Roberts has resigned as president of ORU effective immediately.   What a sad string of events that led to this day... nearly all of which were avoidable.   Perhaps some would say inevitable.   

I am an ORU lover.    I love its unabashedly Christian purpose and mission.   I have great memories of the friends and classmates that I met there as a student so long ago.   I have even more respect for the professors now than I did then.   Many of them have stayed for many years at great personal and economic sacrifice to help ORU its' mission.   I admire the accomplishments of so many of its graduates throughout the world.   I have benefitted in business through hiring other ORU grads to work in our company.  I am glad that my two children independently chose to attend ORU, and have had great experiences as a result.

Now this unique and great university stands at an important point in its history.

Who will be the next leader of ORU?   

Let us all pray that the right person for the time and need is selected.   ORU needs a leader beyond reproach.   A confident and transparent Christian leader.   A person of vision and prayer who, with the grace and help of God, can create a plan for the strenthening of ORU's morale, unity, and financial base.    He or she must be a person possessing  significant business acumen as the task ahead is not a small one.  But I am confident the task can be achieved.

As alumni and supporters, we need to stand with the university now as never before.   Our school, and specifically the board of regents is in need of our prayers regarding the choice of a new president.   We must put the acrimony of the past behind us if we are to see ORU become all that it is intended to be. 

ORU needs us now..... our time, talent, and treasure.

I am also praying for the Roberts family.   They are not perfect people, but no doubt they have had great impact on the world for the cause of Christ in the earth.   I pray that they continue to do so.

What a momentous time in our history.

I received the article below from a friend of mine this afternoon which is pretty balanced.  In fact, I'd be interested to know if the person from Seattle quoted in the article is related to our own "ORU sisko".

Faith tested at Oral Roberts University

By ERIC GORSKI, AP Religion Writer

Sun Nov 25, 7:10 AM ET

Back in 1963, when evangelist Oral Roberts built a university on Tulsa's southern outskirts and put his name on it, he believed he was taking orders from God.

At the center of campus he built a 200-foot steel and glass prayer tower that looks like a spaceship and is topped with a flickering gas flame representing the Holy Spirit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071125/ap_ ... 9ZXqxG2ocA

The president has not been 100% decided but there is great news coming for ORU that will secure the future of the University for generations to come. There will finally be ultimate accountability not only for the University and the new president but for EVERY single member of the board of regents. In the end, all this mess looks like it will ultimately give the University the financial, spiritual and philosophical focus it has been lacking under the last regime. The brightest days are ahead.

ash    =o)