Missouri State players whine about getting fouled.

Titanic Eagle

In their game against Detroit:

Hinson said he was irritated at halftime because his players were complaining about Detroit's bump-and-grind defensive tactics.

"We had guys checking out of the game game and it was, 'Coach, they're pushing, they're fouling, they're hacking.'

"I told them it was ridiculous. I said, 'Are you gonna be tough and work through it or are you gonna sit over here and whine like a bunch of babies?' "

Good response.

Bears win 85 to 71.... they are playing really well and have different kids contributing each night. Chaney scored only 2 points against Detroit on 1 of 7 shooting.

Guest Rob Marshall
Bears win 85 to 71.... they are playing really well and have different kids contributing each night. Chaney scored only 2 points against Detroit on 1 of 7 shooting.

But Ahearn had 24. And one more thing, will someone please lock this thread ASAP because it has NOTHING to do with ORU basketball. :lol:

ORU held Aheam to 0, that's ZERO POINTS and 2 rebounds.

Now the thread is about ORU and ORU's ability to defend.

Guest Rob Marshall
ORU held Aheam to 0, that's ZERO POINTS and 2 rebounds.

Now the thread is about ORU and ORU's ability to defend.

Mom, you're right, ORU had a good defensive game plan in place against MSU (from a defending Ahearn standpoint). Putting a long, athletic player (like Larry Owens) on Ahearn was an excellent move, but frankly that's what a player who shoots it like Ahearn does for his team EVEN when he's not taking or making as many shots as he normally does. Just his mere presense on the court made ORU have to guard him with its best defensive player pulling Owens away from being in a position to help on the interior defense against the MSU bigs and the other guards when they penetrated.

When you have a shooter like Ahearn, when teams are so concerned with not letting him get his shot going they sacrifice other aspects of their half-court defense.

When you have a shooter like Ahearn, when teams are so concerned with not letting him get his shot going they sacrifice other aspects of their half-court defense.

Excellent point, Rob, and that's what we should be able to do with Caleb, although I haven't seen it working as well as it should. The only ways a team, any team, can control Caleb are 1) go right at him and get him in foul trouble (happening too often); or, more importantly, 2) double team him. When he's double teamed we SHOULD have a guy open for an easy shot. Most teams are doubling and even tripling up on Caleb, so we need to be taking better advantage of that, in my opinion.

I think I've heard Scott say this year that they are trying to get Caleb to pass out of traffic more in those situations. We need to be taking advantage of not only Caleb's scoring ability but the opportunities he opens up for others.

He had two points on a layup. He would have dunked but he lost the handle going up.

He didn't shoot well though.

I hate to say it but my feeling was that Ahearn's two point production had less to do with our defense than him just having an off night. On the other hand, Chaney more than made up for it by having a brilliant night. As Terry pointed out, he follows up a 23 point game against us with a two point game against Detroit. Against us, he was making impossible shots with defenders right in his face.

To be their top scorer Ahearn has got to be capable of the same kind of shooting - he just wasn't hitting for some reason at Mabee Center. No problem - he makes up for it by scoring 24 against Detroit!

But Ahearn had 24. And one more thing, will someone please lock this thread ASAP because it has NOTHING to do with ORU basketball. :lol:

:lol::lol: where do you think you are? The TU board? :lol::lol:

I posted it here because I thought it was ironic because some ORU fans were whining about how Missouri State was pushing, fouling, and hacking ORU.

note: I didn't see the game.

I posted it here because I thought it was ironic because some ORU fans were whining about how Missouri State was pushing, fouling, and hacking ORU.

note: I didn't see the game.

Sorry Titanic, my quip was directed at Terry's statement. Thus the quote included. On the TU board, where I am a regular, they have complained (and asked for the threads to be locked) about all the ORU topics that have appeared recently. :)

Guest Rob Marshall
Sorry Titanic, my quip was directed at Terry's statement. Thus the quote included. On the TU board, where I am a regular, they have complained (and asked for the threads to be locked) about all the ORU topics that have appeared recently. :)

Bas, you actually were referencing my words (not Terry's) which didn't clearly communicate my sardonic tone. My sarcasm was based on a thread about MSU's win over ORU that was abruptly locked here last week because its content was not ORU basketball specific in very much a "tulsa.rivals.com" like way. Frankly, I couldn't care less if someone wants to discuss Fordham field hockey on this message board so sorry for the confusion, Bas! :wink: