6'-8" Farrington Commits to ORU

Old Titan

Scott Farrington, a 6'-8" power forward from Humble, TX has committed to ORU after also being recruited by a number of schools including Houston, Louisiana Tech and Florida Atlantic, according to Rivals.com:

ORU Commitment Scott Farrington

Farrington, a native of the Bahamas, is a true "sleeper", and arguably the most important commitment thus far in ORU's 2007 signing class.  He could fill an immediate need in the post next season and for years to come.

Here's a story "DJ" posted about him a month or so ago, from TexasHoops.com:

At 6-foot-8, 215-pounds and plenty athletic, it's no surprise that Scott Farrington has plenty of suitors when it comes to his recruitment. The Christian Life Center senior isn't wasting any time when it comes to dealing with it head-on as the native of the Bahamas would like to sign in the fall. He's already made one official visit, has another on top, and more could get on the schedule as one program currently sits on top.

"Right now, the leader is Oral Roberts," Farrington said. "I visited them on the 21st and I like Coach (Scott) Sutton - he's really cool. The team is cool and everything, and on the visit I had fun chilling with them. I got to play with them too and I like how they play."

While the Eagles are ahead, Farrington hasn't committed to anything quite yet. He's got offers from schools such as San Francisco, Louisiana Tech, Boise State, Tulane, Florida Atlantic, and Houston and is hoping to get a look at some of them before making any more moves with his recruitment.

"I'll probably take two or three more visits before I decide," Farrington said, noting that a trip to Louisiana Tech is on the docket for the weekend of October 12th. "I just don't have anything to compare to (Oral Roberts) yet."

How can a school move up Farrington's list? It's pretty simple really. "I want to be in a place where I am comfortable and where they'll make sure that I graduate," Farrington said. "Also some place where I fit their system."

Farrington noted that he is planning on signing in the fall. In the meantime, he's been getting in tune with his Christian Life teammates. "It's good - we're working hard every day," Farrington said. "Coach is letting me shoot jumpers and may put me outside this year."

Texas Hoops Analysis: SCOTT is a very good athlete with explosive leaping ability in the paint. He looks to finish everything strong and over the rim, is a quick leaper and has an energetic and lively body. He is raw offensively and basically gets all his points off slashing dunks to the hole and offensive putbacks and tips. He runs the floor very well, is a good rebounder and can block shots. He is a developing player who is learning the game and getting better with experience.

This is a GREAT recruit for ORU...... If we get another two signings in the next couple of weeks this could end up being a very special recruiting class. It is already nice to have Farrington and Morrison - some size to go along with the guards we already have.

OT, weren't you told to quit spilling the beans like this.    :-D

It's the old journalist in me, run amok.

And, actually, Rivals.com did the bean spilling.

I'm just sharing them with you...  :-D

This is a GREAT recruit for ORU...... If we get another two signings in the next couple of weeks this could end up being a very special recruiting class. It is already nice to have Farrington and Morrison - some size to go along with the guards we already have.

Unless something has changed and I missed it, I believe we also have a commitment from Daremy Steptoe, a player from the AAU Team Texas, a team that Rotnei Clarke and Chris Babb also played on.

This is a link to a thread from July that had a reference to a Daremy Steptoe verbal commitment to ORU from the July 7th Tulsa World.

Daremy Steptoe Commitment

The excerpt said:... 

"From The Tulsa World, Saturday, July 7:

ORU Receives Commitment

Daremey Steptoe, a 6-foot-8 forward from Arlington, Texas, has gjven a verbal commitment to play at Oral Roberts University.

Steptoe averaged about 12 points, eight rebounds and three blocked shots per game for God's Academy of Irving, Texas last season -- part of a 27-3 team that finished fourth in the National Association of Christian Athletes tournament in Dayton, Tenn.

He will play another year at God's Academy, planning to join ORU for the 2008-09 season.

Of course, verbal commitments are non-binding until he signs in November, but he looks like a pretty good "get"... "

So, that makes Steptoe 6'8", Farrington 6'8", and Morrison 6'6".  I agree that it is nice to see some size, which we will definitely need once Shawn King is gone.

I assume that if Clarke and Babb also committed to ORU, we could find a scholarship for each of them, even though we only have 4 seniors this year.

Rivals only shows Steptoe as 6' 7", but who's counting inches at that height?  So, as Jason said, we have three commitments - Steptoe (2 stars), Morrison (2 stars) and Farrington (NR).  Kyron Stokes and Robert Jarvis were considered 2-star recruits by Rivals for comparison purposes. 

If Clarke comes to ORU, that will make a 4-star commitment and, if Babb would follow, he is rated a 3-star, but Rivals does not show ORU on his list of schools being considered.  Regardless of his official visit, I don't know how much interest Babb has in ORU compared to KSU, Ole Miss and TCU. 

As Terry noted, it would make for a very special recruiting class with the completion of a couple more additions to the verbal commitments already given.  The coaching staff continues to do a great job of evaluating talent and closing the deals on the players that they are interested in being part of their program.  Although the deals are not sealed until the LOIs are faxed to the office, it looks like they could be sitting around the Thanksgiving table next month very happy with their hard work.

If these three commits follow through and sign, then this is already a great recruiting class.

These are all three high school players with size.

Signing guys like that out of high school has traditionally been a challenge for ORU.

To have each of them for the next four years could be really special.

And, if we do happen to sign a guard or two - either now or in the spring - we have really addressed our needs for next season and beyond.

I wish we could have found one true center to step in for King next year, but this does seem like a good haul for ORU...we just need the crown jewel...

Everyone in the country is looking for a true center.... I'll take a couple of athletic 6'8" or 6'9" players. Let's hope they have a growth spurt during their senior seasons.  :-D

Guys,

This is a very good pickup for ORU; very athletic with good size and just really getting better. This is a person that LA. Tech and Houston were both recruiting very hard. Good job Crutch!!

The more I think about it, the better I like this class. Our obvious need is for some height - and the coaches have delivered:

Steptoe - 6'8" (or 6'7" depending on what you read)

Farrington - 6'8"

Morton - 6'8"  (if he comes back after solving his eligibility issue)

Morrison - 6'6"

Our seniors this year are:

Adam Liberty (pg)

Yemi Ogunoye (sf)

Moses Ehambe (sg)

Shawn King ©

With Sango, Jarvis, Allen, Dunn and Stokes - we appear to have the perimeter taken care of. Though we could use a point guard.... :-D

From our good friends at Rivals.com, who upon further inspection have elevated Scott from "no rating" to a "2-star" recruit:

FARRINGTON PICKS HIS FAVORITE

TexasHoops.com

After whittling his list down to three schools, Scott Farrington hit the visit trail. The athletic 6-foot-8, 215-pound forward from Christian Life Center in Humble made visits to Oral Roberts, Louisiana Tech, and Florida Atlantic and soaked in all he could with all three programs. Each made their own impression on him, but only one could win out for his services as he made his verbal commitment over the weekend.

Oral Roberts had been Farrington's leader for quite some time and on Saturday night he made it official for the Golden Eagles. "They came to the Bahamas to visit me the first day the coaches could come out, and that was a key factor," Farrington said. "They built a relationship with my mom, and my dad, and they showed how serious they were. I like the campus, the guys on the team, and I built a good relationship with the coaches."

ORU was Farrington's first visit in mid-September and on his trip he built some bonds that held firm as he made his other visits. The opportunity for immediate playing time didn't hurt either. "There's a good chance I can come in and play a lot of minutes," Farrington said. "And hopefully with my work ethic, I can come in and start."

Having grown up playing mostly in the post, the plan for Farrington at Oral Roberts is to show more versatility to his game and he's working on improving that his senior season. "My coach is working me into a three-four, so I can play depending on who's guarding me," Farrington said. "I'm also working on my strength and my foul shooting as well as my mid-range game."

Texas Hoops Analysis: SCOTT is a very good athlete with explosive leaping ability in the paint. He looks to finish everything strong and over the rim, is a quick leaper and has an energetic and lively body. He is raw offensively and basically gets all his points off slashing dunks to the hole and offensive putbacks and tips. He runs the floor very well, is a good rebounder and can block shots. He is a developing player who is learning the game and getting better with experience.

This is the type of player people love to watch.  Hopefully we turn him into the next Larry Owens.