Re: 2008 Unofficial Baseball Schedule

tmh8286

With all of the dates that have been found so far, I thought I would consolidate them into our own unofficial ORU baseball schedule.  In addition to those dates posted in the other thread, I found two dates listed with Missouri State as well.  I'll update this with new dates we find until the official schedule comes out.  Home dates are bold:

2008 UNOFFICIAL BASEBALL SCHEDULE

2/22    @ Texas-San Antonio Tournament vs. UTSA

2/23    @ Texas-San Antonio Tournament vs. La.-Lafayette

2/24    @ Texas-San Antonio Tournament vs. Army

2/25    @ Texas-San Antonio Tournament - Championship

3/4     Missouri State

3/6     @ 2008 Hilton Arlington UTA Invitational vs. TBA (Mcneese State/UTA)

3/7     @ 2008 Hilton Arlington UTA Invitational vs. Dallas Baptist University

3/8     @ 2008 Hilton Arlington UTA Invitational vs. TBA (Mcneese State/UTA)

3/14    @ Pepperdine

3/15    @ Pepperdine

3/16    @ Pepperdine

3/20    Dallas Baptist University

3/21    Dallas Baptist University

3/22    Dallas Baptist University

3/27    Brigham Young University

3/28    Brigham Young University

3/39    Brigham Young University

4/4     North Dakota State

4/5     North Dakota State (DH)

4/6     North Dakota State

4/8     @ Arkansas

4/11    @ Centenary

4/12    @ Centenary (DH)

4/13    @ Centenary

4/15    Arkansas

4/18    Western Illinios

4/19    Western Illinios (DH)

4/20    Western Illinios

4/22    @ Missouri State

4/24    @ Southern Utah

4/25    @ Southern Utah (DH)

4/26    @ Southern Utah

5/2     @ South Dakota State

5/3     @ South Dakota State (DH)

5/4     @ South Dakota State

5/9      Oakland

5/10    Oakland (DH)

5/11    Oakland

5/15    @ IPFW

5/16    @ IPFW (DH)

5/17    @ IPFW

5/22    Summit League Conference Tournament @ Oral Roberts University

5/23    Summit League Conference Tournament @ Oral Roberts University

5/24    Summit League Conference Tournament @ Oral Roberts University

Thanks for putting this together, TMH.  We'll see how close we come to getting the Unofficial schedule completed before the official one comes out.

I believe that I heard the Summit League tournament in May is being held in Fargo, ND this year.  This is surprising since NDSU wouldn't be eligible to compete in the NCAA tournament, so don't quote me on this (unless it turns out I'm right, of course)!   :-D

Ha!  I checked the league web site for team schedules, and they don't have THAT posted yet (they usually release the basketball schedule for the following year very early) but I checked the "Championships" link and found this:

2008 Summit League Baseball Championship 

Courtesy: The Summit League

Release: 10/18/2007

Courtesy: The Summit League

http://www.thesummitleague.org

Host: Oral Roberts University

Site: J.L. Johnson Stadium; Tulsa, Okla.

Date: May 22-24, 2008

I guess that answers that question, in a most favorable way!

That is GREAT news.  I enjoy having the Tournament in Tulsa (even though we have only lost once since we've been in it).  Not only is the weather usually good, but the other teams that make the tournament usually throw their best pitchers against us and make the games very competitive.  I hope it stays in Tulsa for a long time because the weather factor could be tough in some of the northern tier cities in May (although NDSU does have a very nice stadium).

Thanks, tmh!  I kept thinking last night - "we need to put this in a separate thread" - and then you did it!  Don't forget to add the the Dallas Baptist three game home series from the other thread.

Also, is this the first year that the conference has a four game in three days series vs. the two DH in two days?  I know that Rob and ORU had pushed for this - and it's encouraging that the conference listened!

Good point, Blue!  I didn't pick up on the fact that we were playing DBU at the UTA Invitational AND in a separate home series later.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Schulule has been updated.

BTW, does anyone know how many games per regular season teams are allowed to play? 

Also, is this the first year that the conference has a four game in three days series vs. the two DH in two days?  I know that Rob and ORU had pushed for this - and it's encouraging that the conference listened!

Someone with fewer cobwebs in their synapses can help me out here if I'm wrong, but I think that's the way the schedule was played last year (and maybe the year before).  Most of the conference home series would start with a Friday evening nine inning game, then I think the next day (Saturday) they played a DH with one nine inning game and one seven inning game, then Sunday they usually had a 12:00 noon start for the final nine inning game. 

Am I remembering that right, Bogus?

BTW, does anyone know how many games per regular season teams are allowed to play? 

I think the NCAA maximum is 56 games.  I found this on the Baylor website.

I think the NCAA maximum is 56 games.  I found this on the Baylor website.

Great!  That makes sense.  I counted the number of games we played last year and came up with 52, and I know that we had several rain-outs that weren't made up.  So that number sounds right.

So far we've figured out 32 of ORU's games - only twenty four more to go!

Someone with fewer cobwebs in their synapses can help me out here if I'm wrong, but I think that's the way the schedule was played last year (and maybe the year before).  Most of the conference home series would start with a Friday evening nine inning game, then I think the next day (Saturday) they played a DH with one nine inning game and one seven inning game, then Sunday they usually had a 12:00 noon start for the final nine inning game. 

Am I remembering that right, Bogus?

Your right, Doc!  Looking at last year's results, the dates line up correctly - I believe last year was the first under the new, improved format.

So far we've figured out 32 of ORU's games - only twenty four more to go!

With 7 conference series (28 games), our schedule will be an even split between Summit and non-conference games.  We've already located 16 of the 28 non-conference games, so we have 12 to go.

I would assume Wichita State (2 - home/away), Oklahoma State (2 - home or neutral/away), Baylor (3 -home has been rumored), TCU or UTA (3 home or away) and Missouri Southern (2 - home) might be logical choices to fill out the schedule. It will be interesting to see the final version.

I checked WSU this AM (as I'm sure you did too, Blue!), but they, as we, have yet to release their final schedule.

http://www.ragincajuns.com/SportSelect. ... PSID=67292

Feb. 22-24 at UT-San Antonio Tournament (Army, La.-Lafayette & UTSA)

Going off the LALA site our schedule is probably...

Feb. 22 at UTSA

Feb. 23 vs. La.-Lafayette

Feb. 24 vs. Army

Thanks, Mike.  I had received the same nugget of info from ORU sisko via PM.  The schedule has been amended to include this series.  It appears from the LA-La schedule that there is a fourth game - a championship or something - so I added that as a potential fourth game in that series.

I did a little more checking on the Summit League web site and managed to find the rest of the 2008 conference baseball schedule.  After adding that on we're up to either 47 or 48 scheduled games (depending on the fourth game at UTSA).  That's pretty good!  How many more will we be able to find before the schedule is released?

I would assume Wichita State (2 - home/away), Oklahoma State (2 - home or neutral/away), Baylor (3 -home has been rumored), TCU or UTA (3 home or away) and Missouri Southern (2 - home) might be logical choices to fill out the schedule. It will be interesting to see the final version.

FWIW, Blue, of the teams you mentioned only Missouri Southern and TCU have released their schedules, and ORU is not on either.  We could still see some games against Missouri Southern though, I would think, because they are one of those teams that are in close proximity and might be able to answer the call in the case of a rain-out.

Excellent research, everyone!  Since we normally start with Missouri Southern - but this year's schedule has us opening in San Antonio - we likely won't see a D2 or NAIA team on our schedule (unless, as you mentioned, Doc, we need a fill-in game to make-up a rain-out).  Overall, I think the schedule is shaping up nicely!  I hope the Baylor rumors become a reality - this could become an excellent rivalry/series.

Agreed, Blue...very nice job by all of piecing together the spring season.  Sorry for not getting to participate the rest of the day yesterday, but other duties called! 

I think you're right that we probably won't see a D-II or NAIA team this season unless we use them in one of our mid-week games or rainout makeups.  Although this would help with our RPI, it usually takes a couple of weeks for the pitching and team to get their bearings and the lower division competition comes in handy for getting a team's legs underneath them.  I hope our team is prepared come February 22 in San Antonio. 

Regardless, it will be fun to see how the rest of the schedule fills in.  Good work so far guys!