ORU?s Larry Owens Named Mid-Con Player of the Week

ORUTerry

ORU?s Larry Owens Named Mid-Con Player of the Week

TULSA?Oral Roberts University?s Larry Owens (Mesa, Ariz.) has been named the Mid-Continent Conference Men?s Basketball Player of the Week, the league office announced on Monday.

Owens, a 6-foot-7 senior forward, led the Golden Eagles (5-3) to a 1-1 week, including a win over Northern Colorado on Sunday. He averaged 19.0 points, 7.0 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 2.0 steals and 1.5 blocks in two games. He also had the hot hand from the field, shooting 80 percent thanks to a 16-for-20 effort from the field. In 72 minutes of action last week, Owens committed just two turnovers. He was also a perfect 4-for-4 from the free throw line

In Wednesday?s loss to Missouri State, Owens contributed a season-high 22 points on 9-of-12 shooting to go along with nine rebounds and three steals.

In Sunday?s victory at Northern Colorado, Owens led an injury-plagued squad to a 79-66 win with 19 points, a career-high eight assists and five rebounds.

For the season, Owens is averaging 10.5 points, 7.4 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game.

im not too sure of all the other mid-con teams, but after listening too and watching two games in the past week, larry has put on a clinic...

he certainly deserves to be recognized.

I think this is a big deal, and well deserved. Larry has been the spark for our team in at least the last three games. He's been putting up amazingly complete stats, doing it all on both sides of the ball.

Congratulations to Larry for a job well done. Way to go, man!

It seems in the past you see JuCo players coming in thier senior year and hitting a slump(Tiggs for example). We've seen that in the past. But not Larry. His game has improved so much. Who would have thought he would be hitting 80+% from the free throw line and hitting 3ptrs. He is playing hard every game. i am glad he got a 22 pt game. he deserves the attention. Go Larry

Larry does deserve this! He has been such a good contribution to the team. He plays hard every game and (like EagleFanatic said) he adds energy that makes him so much fun to watch.

Who would have thought he would be hitting 80+% from the free throw line and hitting 3 ptrs.

I'm glad you pointed out Larry's improved FT shooting, Isbig. I meant to in my earlier post, then forgot to do it.

Like you said, Larry is shooting 80% for free throws! He's tied with JB for best free throw shooter on the team!. By comparison, he shot 45.5% from the line last season. What an improvement!

Those numbers speak volumes about two great character traits in Larry - an intense work ethic and great coachablity. Glad to see both things paying off for him. I can't say enough about how I respect this guy for what he's done to make himself a better player and a better teammate.