You have GOT to read this.

oruvoice

Early in the second half of the ORU-TU women's game today, one of the officials (on a deadball situation), stops play turns to me and says that he "doesn't want to hear me anymore". To which I replied, "they are camping in the lane". He then stares me down and says, "one more word and you're outta here". UNREAL!

Then...after counting the TU player in the lane to a slow count of SEVEN SECONDS out loud, there is another deadball situation (media timeout). The official goes to the scorer's table and talks to the TU administrator. The TU administrator comes and sits down with me and says......"Mike, if you'll stop counting out loud, he'll (the referee), start counting"!!!!!!!!

I have been to THOUSANDS of b-ball games and have NEVER seen or experienced something like this!

One other thing...I said no 'foul' words. I said no personal insults. I simply said, "bad call", when there was a bad call and counted the seconds in the lane of the TU post players. YET....the official stops play to address me personally and stare me down. Then he tells a TU administrator to come talk to me about 3 second violations!

UNREAL!

Really!!! I didn't know we had any EIGHTH GRADERS on our women's basketball team! Maybe that ref usually works MIDDLE SCHOOLS. I know that they don't allow heckling by fans at that level.

Surely you're kidding there, voice. Clearly you were getting to this guy. Were you the only fan in the stands or something?

This turning the other cheek thing is bumming me out! Until one of our coaches set the tone ThAT ORU will not except being the refs doormat i fear this will continue ............................

The fouls was 7 to 1 early first half in favor of TU and started out the same in second half.

..........Until voice's kind appeal to the refs!

It was a hard fought game. We got absolutely killed on the boards. Combine that with poor shooting.

At least our players were classy - some of the TU ladies were losing their composure - two techs - I think both for language.

ORU is going to continue to improve in the next 3 months. We play quite a few freshman - Camargo, Hardin and Watman come to mind.

Like deja vu of the game last Wed. We led the first half and let them go on a run in the second half - no timeout called.

Was he the older, gray-haired fella? Seemed to me he had a chip on his shoulder.

It was the guy that was 'balding' on top. The other two never acknowledged me....what is what refs SHOULD do.

I mean, we're not talking about profanity laced tirades and talking about their mother's. Blue & I were saying things like, "Hey ref, the fouls are 7 to 1" or "Hey ref, 3 seconds", or "Hey ref, that was a bad call."

Matter of fact, there was a member of the TU athletic dept. and his wife sitting DIRECTLY behind us and they saw NOTHING wrong with our "heckling". We exchanged convo throughout the game and they said we were being good fans for our team!

That's pretty much ridiculous. I agree, refs should ignore fans, or do what I've see them do from time to time and joke back with the fans. Once at a Laker game years ago some guy who was sitting in our area asked the ref "Are you sure? Are you sure?" after one of the Lakers was whistled for a foul. The ref looked at the man and nodded his head up and down a few times. Or a couple years ago during the UMKC game (I think it was the one where Watson scored like 53) I yelled at the ref, "Where are you from, Kansas City?", he turned my way and said "Yep." I had a good chuckle.

This should never happen....a good ref never lets the fans know he hears them....I have never seen anything like this, except once when I was a freshman in high school and a fan was thrown out of the gym for his language.....if it is like "voice" said, this is unbelievable....

Voice, you mean YOU'RE the reason there was one, and I mean ONLY one lane violation called the ENTIRE ball game? :lol:

I was wondering why he called that one :lol:

I thought the odd-man of the three was calling stuff with his eyes closed. Seriously though, that is lame for him to do that. Maybe he was taking out his frustrations with all the abuse I was giving him and his crew out on you. If he got onto you for that stuff, I wonder what it was the eldest Asst coach on your bench said that made him stop play and walk over to him and have a short conversation. I swear, Finkbeiner turned to them afterwards and asked, "Just what did you say?" The man replied, "Nice Whistle, Ref" :lol:

The Officiating was, again, horrid in both directions.

That said, As I told Voice before the game, it was going to be a really hard fought game. Don't let the final score fool you, TU's women had to fight for every one of those points. I was suprised that your 2nd string didn't skip a beat when they came in off the bench, en masse. The bench depth will really help your team when conference play starts up. Turek is to ORU what Robbins is to TU, heart and soul. And I really like the stroke of #35. She hit a 20 footer that looked like it was on a rope tied right down the middle of the basket.

You guys at ORU need to start using the Homer Drew method of getting a technical. He doesn't cuss or yell (at least very loudly) he walks out on to the court and gets in the way of the play. It signals to the ref that Homer vehemently disagrees with the call but still treats the ref with some dignity. Also the refs know then that they have passed Homer's personal line "drawn in the sand" and they better pay attention to their job.

You guys at ORU need to start using the Homer Drew method of getting a technical.

We've talked about that, TD. Homer got T'd up at ORU one time, and he did it just as you said. As I remember it, he wadded up his jacket and threw it on the floor as well (note my signature by ORUTerry!).