New topic - BYU vs. TU

ORUIsbig

I think i have asked this before but...

TU has a game at BYU this year, dec 30. Why cant ORU get a game like that? I think it's great drama.

Mormons vs. Charismatics.

or how about Liberty U.

Baptist vs. Charismatics.

Or Princeton?

Athiestic Christians vs. Charismatics. :lol:

Does anyone know if ORU trys to schedule games like that? Have we played them in the past? I know we take what we can get, which is not much, but i would love see that.

ORU did play BYU in the past. In fact, they came one year to Mabee Center, probably 1980 or '81, and Danny Ainge beat us at the buzzer. That was the same year he went the length of the court and beat Notre Dame at the buzzer in the NCAA tourney. They brought a small cheering section that sat high in the blue end zone. My friend pointed them out to me - probably a hundred people or so, and said they're probably the wives of the players.

Great point, bsok. I remember hearing about that game, though it was a year before I arrived in town. Yesterday when I responded to Isbig I was too lazy to check out the media guide to find out if and when we'd played BYU. Here's the rundown. We played them four times in the '70s-'80s:

• 12/23/78 (A) 104-120L (must have been quite an offensive showdown - no indication of OT)

12/08/79 (H) 75-76L

01/21/86 (H) 65-67L

12/20/86 (N) 73-95L

To date BYU has owned us. Time for a little payback, I'd say.

1979 game - Danny Ainge did the same thing he did in the NCAA tourney to us. Shoulda won that game ... lost by a point.

I too remember the heartbreaker in 79. I was nineyears old and cried all the way back to Grad Student Housing! Haven't liked Ainge since!