2007 DICK?S SPORTING GOODS NIT SEASON TIP-OFF FIELD AND SITES ANNOUNCED

ORUTerry

2007 DICK?S SPORTING GOODS NIT SEASON TIP-OFF FIELD AND SITES ANNOUNCED

NEW YORK---The 16-team field for the 2007 Dick?s Sporting Goods NIT Season Tip-Off Tournament was announced today.

?We are quite pleased with the caliber of teams in this year?s event and we look forward to another exciting start to college basketball with the NIT,? commented C.M. Newton, chair of the NIT Committee. The NIT Season Tip-Off, founded in 1985, will feature all first- and second-round contests at campus sites. All teams in the tournament are guaranteed at least two games. ESPN will provide coverage of the event, televising games on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU.

The East Regional will take place on November 12 and 13 at Syracuse University. The first round doubleheader will showcase the Syracuse Orangemen against the Saints of Siena College while St. Joseph?s University will square off against Fairleigh Dickinson University. The championship and consolation games follow the next day.

In the West Regional on November 13, the University of Washington will host New Jersey Institute of Technology in the first game while the University of Utah takes on High Point University in the second contest. The championship and consolation game will take place on November 14.

The Midwest Regional will take place at Ohio State University on November 12 when the Buckeyes play the University of Wisconsin Green-Bay and Columbia University faces Delaware State University. The championship and consolation game will take place on November 13.

In the South Regional, Oral Roberts University will visit Texas A&M University and the University of Texas, El Paso will play Texas A&M University, Corpus Christi. The South region will play on November 13 and 14.

The Tournament will culminate in New York?s Madison Square Garden with the semi final doubleheader tipping at 7 p.m. ET on November 21 (ESPN2). The championship doubleheader will be played on November 23, with the consolation game starting at 4:30 p.m. on ESPN with the championship game tipping at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN.

The post season NIT was founded in 1938 by a group of New York City sportswriters while the NIT Season Tip-Off, formerly known as the preseason NIT, started in 1985. An independent at-large committee chooses the field for both events. Since the inception of the two Tournaments, tens of thousands of student-athletes and coaches have participated. Visit www.nit.org for more details on Tournament history, selection committee and procedures.

Not hard to guess that the NCAA (owners of the NIT) wants Syracuse, Washington, Ohio State and Texas A&M in New York City (Madison Square Garden) for the tournament semi finals and finals. That is a nice geographic mix with Syracuse helping to fill up the arena. Let's hope ORU can throw a their plan off just a bit.

A question for anyone who cares to answer...what would you prefer? Being the #4 seed and getting a guaranteed game with A&M that will boost our RPI, win or lose...or...a #3 seed and a date with an easier opponent in UTEP that would not boost our RPI as much but would give us another game with a quality opponent and a better chance at a win and then a game with A&M?

I say take a guaranteed game against Texas A&M and the possibility of more TV exposure.

I'm not sure if UTEP can get past Texas A&M - CC. And they (Texas A&M-CC) will be highly motivated to play their 'big brother'.

I like getting A&M early under a new coach.  It's our best chance to win.  There's a lot of uncertainty anytime a team changes up their game plan with a new philosophy.

A guaranty with TAMU is great. With all the dismissals Barbee had to make in the off season UTEP will probably be just as bad as last year (and an RPI drain). TAMU-CC might actually help our RPI more than UTEP. Correction, based on last years RPI TAMU would no doubt help our RPI more than UTEP.

http://orusports.com/talk/index.php?topic=3295.0

I like getting A&M early under a new coach.  It's our best chance to win.  There's a lot of uncertainty anytime a team changes up their game plan with a new philosophy.

Good point.

A question for anyone who cares to answer...what would you prefer? Being the #4 seed and getting a guaranteed game with A&M that will boost our RPI, win or lose...or...a #3 seed and a date with an easier opponent in UTEP that would not boost our RPI as much but would give us another game with a quality opponent and a better chance at a win and then a game with A&M?

I like what Rob Walton tells his baseball guys every year about usually having to open up regional play against a #1 seeded host team:  if you're really serious about wanting to get to the Super-Regional, you're going to have to go through them eventually, so you might as well go ahead and beat 'em right off the bat.

So, might as well upset Texas A&M on the first night!  8-)

It said all teams are guarenteed two games would it just be the two winners play and then the two losers play each other? We would still have a decent team to play against if at worst we got beat by A&M. but i think ur right that with TAMU loosing Law and the new coach, among other changes there is definetly a chance for the upset there (just like kansas, beginning of the season....Oh i see it). lol.

Our team will have had much more time to build chemistry.  We have ten days(?) extra to get ready for the Canadian trip, we have four games in Canada, more time to practice what worked in Canada and what did not work, and than two exh games and another game against SW OK, so I think we will be ready for TAMU.

TAMU has regular practice time, one game against Mcneese State under a NEW coach.

the preparation is heavily in our favor.  However, I don't think Law meant as much to TAMU as Green & Tutt meant to us.  The numbers and percentage of scoring and rebounds speak for itself, and TAMU has incredible talent coming in to fill the spot.

I think we can pull it off, but our new players will have to build chemistry FAST in Canada.