Re: Rotnei Clarke

Gold*

I think it's funny what instant assumptions you can make from Clarke's father going to ORU and it's not that Rotnei will automatically end up there. The instant assumption you make, noted earlier in this thread by someone else, is that he WON'T be going to TU with the rivalry and all and even though he put TU in the top ten to make them feel good, I'm definitely happy that I just really can't see him ending up there with his Dad on the other side of town. With his Dad at ORU, it just doesn't make sense to go to TU. I can't see there being that more much significant difference in exposure for NBA purposes, you have a school at ORU that matches up with your values, and though perhaps debated in some circles, you have a more talented team at ORU anyway.

TU school motto: "Wisdom, faith, service for Christ..."

:lol:

You've got to be kidding me.  You're going to try and compare something like that.  Now that IS funny.

I didn't compare.  Just made the point.  Do you disagree that's the school motto?  If you think you're the only university in town with Christians, you're very much mistaken.  I do note the irony that the ORU board is prolly the only place this conversation would EVER happen.

TU school motto: "Wisdom, faith, service in Christ."

Gold, I don't think Eli was implying that ORU has a sole claim on faith. You are inferring it. Faith at ORU is usually a point of derision among TU fans (Jesus St. etc...) so its a bit humorous to hear one claim it as well.

Gold, I don't think Eli was implying that ORU has a sole claim on faith. You are inferring it. Faith at ORU is usually a point of derision among TU fans (Jesus St. etc...) so its a bit humorous to hear one claim it as well.

The "You've got to be kidding me" and the emoticon didn't indicate otherwise?  Moreover, others in the thread made statements that could be interpreted to read that TU is somehow a "value-less" school by comparison.

A similar point recently came up on the TU board with regard to the nickname "Golden Hurricane" and all the slights taken at it: it's college sports, people will find something to make fun of no matter what, deal with it.  I think 99.99% of TU fans that make those jokes are doing it to get under your skin.  I don't think the TU fans are mocking your faith, so much as other things that so many others have talked about before, ranging from the Simpsons to the Club Dred guys to Stephen Colbert and so on.  And, at least the ORU fans I know are open to a healthy bit of humor about the 900 foot Jesus and so on.

The  response was to a post even being put on a sports message board by a competing fan to argue with someone...that's what's funny.  If you have issue with a perfectly legitimate point made by a Fan of the team who's board this is anyway.  Eli stated "you have a school at ORU that matches up with your values".  Whatever TU's motto is, as a university, Promoting the Christian faith and concentrating on Spirititual and academic development of the students is not their focus.

Let it go man...  

You realize TU has an affiliate seminary, right?  I would say that part of TU's agenda is promoting the Christian faith.  It's affiliated with Presbyterian church.  To be fair, there isn't one overarching religion at TU -- the school built a mosque to accommodate the many Muslim students in the engineering school and elsewhere and it represents many other Christian denominations. TU doesn't advertise this as much as others do, but don't believe for a second that the school is somehow devoid of religion.

I vigorously disagree that TU does not focus on the "academic development" of students.  I'm not sure you really mean that.  It's a Top 100 university and darn proud of that. 

To link the two issues, as a student I was exposed to a variety of Christian theological issues, even in a couple of law school classes.  TU has some unique professors, such as an expert on natural law.

I'll admit the school is more traditional than ORU, but both are pretty unique PRIVATE schools in Tulsa, OK. 

Whatever...what about let it go means three more paragraphs.

the academic was linked to the spiritual as a combination and the focuss being more equal on the two.

Oh and by the way, being devoid of religion(s) is rarely the problem.  Sometimes quite the opposite.

Oh thank you so much for the mosque.

Quit making misrepresentations about my school and I'll go away. I've heard a frequent complaint from ORU fans that TU folks don't know much about your school or the ministry.  It's a two way street at times, I think.

I didn't see the linkage on the academic and spiritual -- I wondered if it was intended, but the sentence was vague. 

I'm glad TU built the mosque.  Those students deserve a place to worship.  My understanding is that PCUSA teachings are respect for the beliefs of others.  There is a good group of Muslim students at TU that contribute a great deal to the life of the campus and have gone on to do some really great things.

I'm having so much fun I hate to go home for the night...tag...someone else enjoy

I forgot.  What was this thread about again?

This thread is very close to being moved.... this type of discussion should be in the "General " section. Let's talk about Rotnei..... or ORU basketball

Now that the discussion has been moved, I feel I can address it a little bit.  To assume that there are more Christians at ORU would be true, but to assume that somehow we are the lone ICON of Chistianity is false.  I went to both schools, and though my loyalty remains with my undergrad (ORU), some of the most-christ like kids I ever met were at TU.  Also as a freshman (not a christian at the time) I broke honor code a few times and know first hand from many, many parties thrown in dorms, that ORU is not 100% christ like. Rotnie can maintain his Christianity and grow at either school.  He would be around more Christians at ORU, and a more christ-like enviroment as enforced by chapels, and rules, but quality does not come about through quantity, and to assume ORU has a better brand of Christianity or service to Christ is arrogant. 

I do love ORU and hold two ORU degrees there, and think Rotnie would be exposed to more Christians at ORU, I also think we flat out have a better coaching staff, venue, and chances at making the NCAA's. 

That said, Christ is not measured like water, if he's there a little, he's there all the way. 

(steps down from soap box, resumes beer and chicken while watching the Mariners game)

Now that the discussion has been moved, I feel I can address it a little bit.  To assume that there are more Christians at ORU would be true, but to assume that somehow we are the lone ICON of Chistianity is false.

Good point but nobody (other than Gold) suggested this.

TU doesn't seem to me to be any more Christian than any other private or public university.  Of course there are lots of Christians there because there are lots of Christians in America, and a higher % in the Tulsa area, where many of their students come from.  Many universities have seminaries.  I'm sure there are many wonderful Christian people at TU, and I know several dear Christian friends who are TU graduates, but.....I wouldn't think that Rotnei would gain any special "Spiritual" emphasis at TU that would set it apart from a large list of other private and public universities.

ORU, on the other hand, has:

2 chapel services on campus required every week,

4 required theology courses for every student,

hundreds of students going on missions every summer,

hundreds of students participating in spiritually oriented community outreach programs every semester,

a campus Sunday night chapel service,

prayer before every basketball game,

a president with a daily TV show focusing on spiritual matters,

a president who also travels to foreign countries holding spiritually oriented crusades,

a chaplain on each dorm wing with weekly Bible studies on each wing,

a building in the middle of the campus focused on prayer where people are praying continually for others 24 hours a day, etc.....

Spiritual growth opportunities can be found anywhere (including TU) if someone looks for them, but opportunities for spiritual growth abound at ORU to a much greater degree than at 99% of other universities.  That is definitely an advantage that ORU would have over TU, if that is important to a specific athlete or student.

This is one of the silliest arguments I have seen on this board.......

In light of Gold's recent information that has enlightened us on TU's rich theological heritage and current commitment to all faiths, I propose a new motto for the school at 11th and Harvard:

"Wisdom, Faith, Service in Christ... and also Mohammad"

:wink:

...lol....and Buddha, Krishna, Shiva, and many, many more! The Heinz 57 of spiritual growth!

I'm not arguing the fact that ORU presents many spiritual opportunities.  That is fact, and foundational to ORU's mission, its part of what made me a Christian.  I just know that if somebody is sincere about wanting to grow in Christ, they are going to do it at KU, UK, TU, or ORU.

Also on a side note, I may be wrong, but I don't think the Prayer tower is not used anymore (or used sparingly).  Didn't they move all the prayer warriors to the Baby Mabee, and my senior year they didn't do Sunday night worship but once a semester.  Maybe they vamped it back up.

Im pretty sure your right on the prayer partners being moved to the baby mabee... but last year weekly sunday night services were brought back.

Prayer Partners moved back into the Tower as of June this summer.