Ex-ORU star loves new job - Tulsa World (7-4-2007)

ORUTerry

Ex-ORU star loves new job

by BARRY LEWIS World Sports Writer

7/4/2007

FIVE YEARS AGO when Michael Rogers signed with the Cleveland Indians after completing an All-American career at Oral Roberts University, he hoped that he would be pitching in the majors in 2007.

Rogers' career path, however, took a quite different turn after injuries forced him off the mound.

Instead, he is the athletic director and head baseball coach at Broken Arrow's Summit Christian.

"It does seem surreal sometimes when I think where I was five years ago and now I am a high school athletic director," Rogers said. "But I've always had a heart for athletics and ORU prepared me well for this. I'm excited about the chance to be able to mold the athletic program here."

Last week, Summit Christian was admitted into the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association.

"This is a big step for us," Rogers said.

"We've always thought that we would like to get in, but until a year ago before the requirements were changed, it was very difficult for a private school to get into the OSSAA."

Also admitted were Claremore Christian and Durant's Victory Life.

Summit, which is projected to be Class 2A in basketball, is adding cross country and girls soccer to its athletic program, which will be eligible to compete right away for OSSAA titles in all sports except football in the 2007-08 school year.

Also, Summit will make a transition from 8-man to 11-man football by the 2009 or 2010 seasons.

"Our athletic program is really making a lot of strides," Rogers said. "Broken Arrow is an area that is growing rapidly and we're expecting to grow."