Assess The Coaches

Guest Rob Marshall

Guest Rob Marshall

in honor of "ORUHomer," here is a thread for ORU fans to step up and give your honest evaluation of the ORU coaching staff.

Mom, I really should say "ladies first" here and let you go, but I'll take the microphone first since I birthed this thread and it may be locked down before I get the mic back ... okay, so to do this right, we have to break it down into the specific areas involved in coaching college basketball.

RECRUITING

Recruiting is the lifeline of a program and arguably more important than anything else. Scott and his staff have done a nice job of evaluating prospective student-athletes, then ultimately closing them on becoming Golden Eagles. Don't know the exact recipe that they are using, but it's working well. I'll give them a very solid "A" in what is no easy job at ORU.

PLAYER DEVELOPMENT

Which player is better today than when he arrived at ORU? Physically I'd say MOST players have improved their strength and quickness (Green, Tutt, Bluitt, Riouse, Michalec, Fowlkes, Ogunoye). Green benefited from the Pete Newell "Big Man" Camp, but who has developed their game as a result of the ORU coaching staff. Too tough for me to really call since I don't watch practice, so I'll call it a "B" for above average.

PUBLIC / MEDIA RELATIONS

Scott has REALLY grown and matured a lot in his interpersonal communication skills. He's more comfortable in his role as the "front man" and face of ORU basketball, and this has added to his confidence. Signing players like Caleb Green, Ken Tutt, and Larry Owens make it easier to talk about your team as well though. Scott's a very likeable guy and he has an equally great group of guys on his staff. Easy to pull for these guys. :wink: "B+" and continuing to improve.

IN-GAME BENCH COACHING

Coach Hankins and Coach Phipps, both have very good basketball minds, while Coach Williams played at the highest level and I'm sure CW adds insights too. Sometimes we come out of timeouts with a nice out of bounds play or half-court set that produces a good scoring opportunity, which reflects good coaching. Clearly many are questioning usage (or lack thereof) timeouts during the game. Do I see many in-game adjustments? Sometimes. "B-" for slightly better than average with much potential for continued improvement which I think will come

LOCKER ROOM COACHING (PREGAME & HALFTIME)

Coach Sutton showed early promise during his first season, inspiring his team to "upset" TU's elite eight team and has duplicated that inspiration seemingly each year against Tulsa. Some games the team looks more crisp and ready to play than others (USC and Tulsa as examples from this season of coming out all pistols firing); when they aren't as hooked-up, does that a reflection on the coaches, the players or both? Our "flat" effort in the second half is coming from something, question is what? I saw hints of this way back against NSU in our second exhibition game. "C" for average because sometimes we do and sometimes we don't.

OVERALL

They have improved across the board and are developing into a very good staff. They have done an exceptional job recruiting under challenging circumstances. I'll grade them out an overall "B" for an above average job done.

RECRUITING

Recruiting is the lifeline of a program and arguably more important than anything else. Scott and his staff have done a nice job of evaluating prospective student-athletes, then ultimately closing them on becoming Golden Eagles. Don't know the exact recipe that they are using, but it's working well. I'll give them a very solid "A" in what is no easy job at ORU.

Agreed.

PLAYER DEVELOPMENT

Which player is better today than when he arrived at ORU? Physically I'd say MOST players have improved their strength and quickness (Green, Tutt, Bluitt, Riouse, Michalec, Fowlkes, Ogunoye). Green benefited from the Pete Newell "Big Man" Camp, but who has developed their game as a result of the ORU coaching staff. Too tough for me to really call since I don't watch practice, so I'll call it a "B" for above average.

A bit generous. The jury is still out some, but I'd go w/ a B-

PUBLIC / MEDIA RELATIONS

Scott has REALLY grown and matured a lot in his interpersonal communication skills. He's more comfortable in his role as the "front man" and face of ORU basketball, and this has added to his confidence. Signing players like Caleb Green, Ken Tutt, and Larry Owens make it easier to talk about your team as well though. Scott's a very likeable guy and he has an equally great group of guys on his staff. Easy to pull for these guys. :wink: "B+" and continuing to improve.

Again generous. However, much improvement has been made and Coach Sutton definitely speaks more "candidly" than before. Grade: B

IN-GAME BENCH COACHING

Coach Hankins and Coach Phipps, both have very good basketball minds, while Coach Williams played at the highest level and I'm sure CW adds insights too. Sometimes we come out of timeouts with a nice out of bounds play or half-court set that produces a good scoring opportunity, which reflects good coaching. Clearly many are questioning usage (or lack thereof) timeouts during the game. Do I see many in-game adjustments? Sometimes. "B-" for slightly better than average with much potential for continued improvement which I think will come

I've commented on this in deatail on the "dirty" thread. More leadership/initiative by Coach Sutton needed in big game situations. Grade: C+

LOCKER ROOM COACHING (PREGAME & HALFTIME)

Coach Sutton showed early promise during his first season, inspiring his team to "upset" TU's elite eight team and has duplicated that inspiration seemingly each year against Tulsa. Some games the team looks more crisp and ready to play than others (USC and Tulsa as examples from this season of coming out all pistols firing); when they aren't as hooked-up, does that a reflection on the coaches, the players or both? Our "flat" effort in the second half is coming from something, question is what? I saw hints of this way back against NSU in our second exhibition game. "C" for average because sometimes we do and sometimes we don't.

Agreed.

OVERALL

They have improved across the board and are developing into a very good staff. They have done an exceptional job recruiting under challenging circumstances. I'll grade them out an overall "B" for an above average job done.

I really approach this as a fan because I did not play and have never coached. Consequently, I know there is more to "it" than there appears. As most coaches will tell you - good players make good coaches. And that means not just quality athletes, but good team players who are knowledgeable about the game. Some kids are not the most talented but play hard and smart.

Who is to blame if a team comes out flat? Can a coach be ultimately responsible for a team's mental outlook or condition? Maybe - or maybe not. I guess a coach could browbeat, yell, threaten, entice, inspire, bribe, etc. But if the kids are not self-motivated, what good does it do? Our coaches should be (are?) using every method available to keep our kids motivated and intense/focused. It ultimately comes down to the leaders on the team (seniors?) to take some of the responsibility for the team effort.

My questions would be about use of timeouts and lack of 'energy' from the bench. Ultimately, if we were shooting a better percentage from the perimeter we would not be talking about the coaches.

Guest Rob Marshall

Perhaps you're on to something there Terry ... recruit and sign only motivated, self-starters who double as great shooters. :wink:

No question the name of college athletics is get some thoroughbreds and ride 'em like a triple crown jockey. :idea:

Coaching is a big reason teams win or lose. I will have to grade our coaching staff with an A on recruiting and finding the talent and a D on being able to get them to play to their potential. This is not just this year but the norm for this staff. Also there in no leader on the floor right now and that is vital. Not one has stepped into that role and until someone does this season is going to be long and sad . That too is the part of coaching to find a leader or floor General. A team reflects it coaches! :(

At least have a mix of both.... You can win with athletic thoroughbreds or capable, smart and driven players.... or a mix of both. I guess the key is to find atheltic players who are teachable.

Guest Mount Baldy

Perhaps too much is being read into the team's flatness, you *#&! dirty apes! Look at any sport. Tiger Woods is the best in the golf biz but sometimes he has an "off day." Look at your own careers. Sometimes, we're at our best - sometimes far from it. Coaches can play a role in motivating and talent can occasionally make up for a lack of focus, but there will be days when we're simply just not playing well.

Thanks Chuck.... you made me smile.

But, speak for yourself.... I never have an off day.