Maniacs debut

Sterns78

For those of us crazy ORU fans not living in Tulsa (Maniac Wannabes), tell us how the Maniacs looked last night. Only thing I read was them saluting LSG which was a classy thing to do.

Stern,

The maniacs were in classic form last night with excellent costumes, and even better jeers for the opposing players and referees! It was army fatigue night, and THEY WENT ALL OUT! I never knew you could do to fatigue what some of these kids did. It was great. My favorite jeer of night came when one of UCO's players who had a particularly large gotee extending from his chin stepped to the free throw line. Right as he was about to shoot the maniacs busted into a chant of "SHAVE YOUR CHIN!" The kid busted out laughing and had to pull himself together for his free throws. They oldest daugherty boy and a couple others are leading it this year.

I was in town and caught the game ($12 for a pre-season scrimmage? A bit steep...).

The Maniacs were certainly rambunctious and generally entertaining...some of the cheers/jeers were hilarious. But, they were border-line annoying after awhile...

Guest EagleBackr

You now, I used to HATE the Maniacs because I thought they were all about drawing attention to themselves. But now I think they're great, though they do still do a lot of things that scream "LOOK AT US!!" The players really love them, too...

Thanks for the overal positive review of the maniacs at the exhibition game. We have a lot of new kids, so some of the things were sloppy, but things should only get better, we are getting bigger and crazier all at the same time. We really aren't trying to "draw attention to ourselves", rather, just trying to lift our guys up and bug the other team some of we can. The "shaving the chin thing" is a perfect example of that... if we can get a guy to think about what we are saying for just a second, then we have accomplished something because we have made him lose focus. Our goal is to obviously get that entire student section packed, but we'll take what we can get for now. We believe that we should average around 100 maniacs this year, that's about 45-40 more than we averaged last year. About LSG, once one of my guys saw him up there, we immediately had to give him some props, the guy was so awesome and such a good person and was very good to us as well, he deserves more than what we gave him.... Sorry if we are annoying at times, we are just trying to get some atmosphere into the game and maybe get that place rocking a little bit more than it has in the past, what we need though is for people to get off of their seats more often (which is tough in an exhibition game, I know...) and support the guys and girls like they did at the MidCon championship games last year when the UMAC was off of the charts with that noise volume. If we can give that to the guys on a more consistent basis, it will make a big difference. Thanks for the good words overal, we'll keep working hard to bring it every game. Hey Eli, we miss you "shakin that tail feather" around at the games!!! Good to see you still posting "APA drew", PS this is Zac, and John Daugherty is nuts, you gotta come see him!!!!

Maniac Prez,

U all rock! I know you guys do what you do for the team out of purely unselfish motives. I know how hard it is to stand and yell an entire game. It takes a lot of creativity and organization to do what you guys do every home game, and ORU Basketball at the Mabee Center is a lot better because of you guys. The guys hate playing in a quiet gym and really feed off your energy, which is why they love you all so much. Keep up the good work. Keep checking back on this board because i'm sure a lot of us posters (ie. EagleBackr) could help you all with some great insults for other teams. :D

Pres - Good to hear that UCOV is still leading the way with the Maniacs. As you may or may not know, my brother Landon lives on G-Rock this year and last year so I get to hear about you guys' crazy exploits from time to time. I won't be making it down for any regular season games, but believe me, I will be at the Mid-Con tourney and might just have to join you guys for old times sake.

vcboy, thanks for the good words. We are not completely unselfish probably, we definately come to have a good time too, but yeah, we are doing our best to bring some atmosphere to the games and I know that the guys and girls appreciate it when we are there. Eli, of course Cov of representin in the maniacs, I think we have like 20 guys from the floor in the club, and we'll definately be looking forward to you joining us at MidCon!!

The Maniacs were great Saturday night! I especially liked the camo butterfly.

When you think back 4 years what a change and major improvement in the team, the crowd, the maniacs & the student attendance.

When we do the spirit sprint almost everyone stands up now, remember when only the die hards would stand up or yell?

Guest Rob Marshall

It's really nice to see so many students in attendance at the games; your creative energy is refreshing, and while yes, I'm sure some of the older fans are annoyed by your words and actions at times, what you all bring to the table as far as entertainment value far exceeds any negative thing that could possibly be said about the group. Your passionate effort is recognized (and appreciated) by MANY more people than you may think.

Maybe the Maniacs could do what the Dallas Mavs do by selecting the craziest fans and bringing them into the great seats, down close. Hey Maniacs, why not grab one of the geezers who's crazy for the Golden Eagles and bring them into your section for a few high fives and some recognition?

hey Sterns, I'm not really sure how many of the ORU fans would really like to come say hey to the Maniacs... But anyone who does is more than welcome to come hang out with us, the more the merrier. And also, thanks again for all of the good words that people have been posting, it's good to hear from you all.

• 2 weeks later...

All Maniacs,

You all rock. Not only are you accomplishing your goals of distracting the other team and pumping our guys up, you are incredibly entertaining when there is a break of any kind. Keep up the theme nights. I loved the Pirate theme Sat. I love that you all have grown so much. If any of you all are in town over the holidays, come on down to the OU game and bring the craziness.

p.s.

Any UCov members, thanks for beatin' us in vball Mon. Every now and then we alumni need knocked around by the youngsters.