Seniors drive ORU's future - Tulsa World (6-5-2007)

ORUTerry

Seniors drive ORU's future

by JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer

6/5/2007

As much as talent, it was leadership that pushed Oral Roberts to another regional this season.

Ten junior college transfers entered the program last season, and nine of those returned this year as seniors to lead the Golden Eagles to their 10th conference title and their 10th straight regional.

"They're special kids," ORU coach Rob Walton said.

Chris Ashman, Chance Chapman, Erik Crichton, Brendan Duffy, Jake Kahaulelio, Carter McQuigg, Chad Rothford, Pat Warfle played starring roles for two seasons in driving ORU to new heights. Eric Mattison was a popular teammate as a backup. And Andy Bouchie was all-conference last year but went on to pro baseball this year.

"Coming here was a shock," Kahaulelio said. "I'd never heard of Oral Roberts before. I took a chance, and I'm glad I did. Because I almost experienced what every college player wants, a College World Series. We got close."

That would be last year, when ORU won its first regional since '78 and advanced to the program's first-ever Super Regional. The Golden Eagles led late in both games, but ultimately lost twice to No. 1 national seed Clemson.

That was two months after critics were doubting this class. Just a month into their first season, these players set an ORU record with a seven-game losing streak.

"Yeah," Rothford said with a laugh, "last year we set records for losing and we set records for winning. Last year was a lot of fun. The experience we had going to as Super Regional was amazing. I'll never forget the moment."

Great expectations: After a Super Regional in '06, there were expectations on this year's team beyond the routine Mid-Con title and regional appearance. Yet, this year's club became the first under Walton to go 0-2 in regional play, losing 4-3 to Arizona and 11-4 to Wichita State.

"I don't want to say it's a step backward, because if we play it all over again, it could come out different for us," Walton said. "You can't look at getting to a regional as a step backward. It's hard to get in there. There's a lot of good teams that didn't get in. You've got to feel fortunate when you get here. Hopefully your team comes out and plays better. We didn't play very good. That hurt us.

"If I could take this same club and do it all over again, I'd do it. I wouldn't change a thing."

Team player: How good a teammate is Oklahoma State senior Ty Wright? When the postseason began, his hitting streak had stretched into the 30s, yet he said he'd trade that memorable run for a playoff victory. Yeah, right.

Yet, with the Cowboys leading Arkansas 10-1 with one out in the bottom of the seventh and the bases loaded on Saturday night, Wright showed his sincerity. In what was sure to be his last at-bat of the night, Wright sacrificed his hitting streak for a run. Instead of patiently working the count or waiting for the optimum pitch to drive, Wright promptly jumped on the first pitch with an uppercut swing that lifted the ball into the outfield, easily deep enough to score the runner from third.

So, Wright's hitting streak ended at 35, but the Cowboys scored an insurance run.

Gene speaks: After Wichita State ousted ORU, Shockers head coach Gene Stephenson was asked if his team felt any urgency to win since the Golden Eagles had won their last four meetings with WSU.

"Now listen, they're a great program," Stephenson said. "Unfortunately they're saddled with a bad conference. They try their best to play the best teams across the country in non-conference. I have the greatest respect in the world for the things they do."