ORU Notebook - Wichita Regional - (TW)

Bogus Smith

ORU Notebook: Defense department

by JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer

6/2/2007

ORU starter Chance Chapman didn't have his best stuff early, but was backed up by two superior glove efforts in the fourth and fifth innings.  In the fourth, shortstop Adam Younger ranged far to his right and snagged a ball just behind third baseman Carter McQuigg. In one motion, Younger gloved and threw to first to nail leadoff hitter Hunter Pace.

In the fifth, McQuigg dived to his left to stop a hard shot from C.J. Ziegler. McQuigg rolled once on the ground, then got up quickly and threw a one-hop strike to first base for the out.

Good Chance: Chapman got a no-decision but still struck out six and gave up just two earned runs in six innings.

"Chance gave us an opportunity to win, but that's probably his C-game," said ORU coach Rob Walton. "That's his least amount of stuff. But he showed good character hanging in there and still giving us an opportunity in the ballgame."

Chapman's downfall was three hit batters and two walks. He said he had "no feel for my pitches.

"My control was not there today," he said. "I did not have good command, so that ended up hurting us."

Split allegiance: Sean Jarrett, who pitched last season at ORU after starting his college career at Arizona, was at Eck Stadium on Friday wearing an Arizona shirt and an ORU ballcap.

"They both played a part in me being where I'm at right now, so I've got to try to cheer evenly," he said. "Kind of pulling for ORU. I've got a good buddy that's going to be pitching tomorrow for Arizona, but I'd like to see (ORU) go to the World Series -- what I couldn't get done last year."

Jarrett also wore a shoulder sling. His second season of minor league baseball in the Colorado Rockies organization has been interrupted by reconstructive elbow surgery. Jarrett was 0-1 with a 1.15 ERA and five saves for Class-A Asheville before the injury.

"I was starting out pretty good," said Jarrett, who graduated from ORU last winter. "But stuff happens. I've got to sit out the rest of the year, and hopefully I can come back next year and pitch just as good."

Saturday starter: Junior Jeremy Hefner (9-1) will take the hill for ORU on Saturday against Wichita State. Walton said before the Wichita State-New Orleans game Hefner would go regardless of the opponent, although he was tempted to line up freshman Jerry Sullivan against Wichita State if the Shockers lost. Sullivan is 2-0 with 13 -2/3 scoreless innings against WSU this season.

"Hefner's been good all year and he fits just as well," Walton said. "You're going to try to roll out your best guy, which we did today. Chance was throwing better than anybody we've had in a long time, and Hef's been that second-best guy. You don't overcoach. You just throw your next-best guy and go."

Regional run: ORU senior Chad Rothford continued his hot regional hitting on Friday. At last season's Fayetteville Regional, Rothford batted .308 (4-of-13) with two home runs, three doubles, two walks, three runs scored and nine RBIs. Against Arizona, Rothford was 2-for-4 with a double, a run scored and another RBI.

Movin' on up: Arizona pitcher Preston Guilmet's ninth strikeout against ORU -- which came in the fourth inning -- was his 142nd of the season, the most by a Wildcat since 1963. His new single-season total of 144 ranks sixth in school history. Guilmet struck out the side in the third and the fourth inning.

"Just trying to get the good location with the fastball and trying to throw the offspeed pitch in there," Guilmet said. "Personally, my opinion on it was it wasn't that good today."

"Hefner's been good all year and he fits just as well," Walton said. "You're going to try to roll out your best guy, which we did today. Chance was throwing better than anybody we've had in a long time, and Hef's been that second-best guy. You don't overcoach. You just throw your next-best guy and go."

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me to see us stick to our recent rotation order:  Chapman, Heffner, Sullivan, Ashman.

In that scenario, Hefner would be pitching in either an elimination game Saturday afternoon or the winners' bracket game that evening; Sullivan would be pitching in either an elimination game on Sunday afternoon or the championship game that night.

Despite Sullivan's success against WSU several weeks ago, I assume Coach Walton has been sticking to that order for a reason lately...

. . . and Old Titan gets the CIGAR!