Our opponent tomorrow in the consolation bracket is . . .

tmh8286

Wichita State!  They go down to New Orleans 7-6.  UNO played tough, went ahead in the top of the ninth by scoring three runs, and the Shockers couldn't answer. 

We'll have the chance again tomorrow to knock Wichita State out of the tournament on their own field!  Amazing.

I would have never thought! Who would have ever thought?!?!  :-o

I was driving from Denver to Colorado Springs last night and heard that WSU was ahead 6 to 4 in the 9th inning... Figured they had the game won. The Shockers have to be 'shocked'.

My son and I left the game in the 7th after WSU had come back from a 4-0 deficit to score six unanswered runs and the UNO pitchers becoming more ineffective as the game wore on.  You can imagine the shock we had watching the Sports on the news last night and saw that WSU became the "Shockees" instead of the "Shockers"!!  During the tease from news to sports, my son said "he sure doesn't look too happy for winning a ballgame."

My predicition going into the Regional (spoken to several people, but never posted) was that whoever won Game #1 (ORU/UA) would win the Regional.  It's too bad that the weather got in the way of what I believe was ORU's momentum at the time.  I'm hopeful that I can be proven wrong!!

I still think my prediction will stand, but the way things stand, I expect ORU to win today, beat UNO in the 1:00 game tomorrow and play UA at 7:00 tomorrow night.  It will come down to pitching and how deep each team is.  If we can get to Monday, I like our chances (pun intended).  Let's hope I'm right that we can get to the Regional Championship game.

The standard saw in situations like this, is for players and coaches alike to say, "I don't care who we play, just bring them on."  But you have to think that the Golden Eagles are thrilled to be playing the Shockers today.  They are familiar with the team and how they play, and have had great success against them not only this season, but over several season. 

Still, WSU is the one seed, on their home field, in the loser's bracket, with pride on the line, and I suspect that they will be TOUGH today.  It will be a challenge for ORU to win this one.

Still, WSU is the one seed, on their home field, in the loser's bracket, with pride on the line, and I suspect that they will be TOUGH today.  It will be a challenge for ORU to win this one.

Couldn't agree more with you, TMH.  When you have 7,000+ fans griping about every "Ball" and every close call is contested by the crowd, it will be very tough for the officiating crew to not be swayed by what they really saw and called. 

That being said, I think that our guys are very comfortable with the stadium here.  Our defense was great yesterday with UA and I still like our chances.  It comes down to pitching and who is more effective in getting the guys out at the plate.  If Hef is his usual self, this game is ours.  Rob is putting a lot of confidence in Jeremy to get the job done, and rightfully so.  Even the 7,000 fans that WSU played with last night couldn't pull out a win against UNO and I like our psychological edge in this game, too.  (let's hope I'm right!!  :wink: )

You're absolutely right, Bogus.  In spite of the different configuration of their field, with the artificial turf infield, our guys have enjoyed a surprising amount of success there in recent years, and I think there's a great chance for success today.  I won't be making it up for the game after all (car trouble), but I can't wait to LISTEN!

Your point is well taken, that at the level of these two teams (same with our opponent yesterday), it comes down to pitching.  Players on both teams are capable of making outstanding defensive plays - it's pitching that wins games.  Not to say we're immune to errors - my hero, Duffy, made one yesterday.  But they are extremely rare with these guys.  Errors rarely make or break this team.