No bluffing by Cats' Lopez: ace Guilmet to start opener

ORUTerry

Link

UA Sports

UA baseball notebook

No bluffing by Cats' Lopez: ace Guilmet to start opener

By Ryan Finley

Arizona DAily star

Starting pitching is currency in the playoffs, and UA baseball coach Andy Lopez plans to spend wisely.

Pac-10 Pitcher of the Year Preston Guilmet could pitch twice in four games when Arizona heads to Wichita, Kan., for this weekend's NCAA regional playoffs.

The right-handed sophomore will open the series Friday against Oral Roberts, and could start Monday night's tiebreaker, if needed.

The Wildcats (40-15) must win at least three games this weekend to advance. Guilmet will be followed in the rotation by lefties Brad Mills and David Coulon.

"He can do it," Lopez said. "We'll have to manage the pitch count and the innings used. If he really had to, he could bounce back (and pitch Monday). He's a big-time thrower."

Guilmet (11-2, 1.79 ERA) will need to produce for Arizona to advance. The Wildcats are 14-2 (.875) when Guilmet pitches this year, and 26-13 (.667) when he does not.

Guilmet said he does not mind the extra work. He and the Wildcats' other starters pitched on two days' rest during the fall specifically to prepare for the postseason.

"Whether I pitch the first day, the second day or the third day, it doesn't matter," he said.

Changes?

Arizona's starting lineup will receive a few tweaks as the playoffs near.

Diallo Fon and Hunter Pace will platoon in left field, depending on the starting pitcher, Lopez said Tuesday. Fon will start against right-handers, and Pace will go against lefties.

Lopez also will consider starting Robert Abel at shortstop and moving Colt Sedbrook back to second base, his natural position. The move would squeeze out Mike Weldon, a freshman from Canyon del Oro High School, as a starter.

Inside pitch

? Lopez said he won't play "bury the ace" by sitting Guilmet with hopes of stealing a win in the opener. Lopez last tried the move during the 1998 Gainesville, Fla., Regional ? and lost.

"It blew up in my face so bad that I've been scarred ever since," he said. "If my wife and my daughter showed up with their church friends (to play), I'd probably throw my Friday-night guy at them."

? Arizona is expected to arrive in Wichita this evening. The Wildcats' traveling party consists of 25 players, four coaches and a handful of support staffers.

? Wichita State has put tickets on sale for this weekend's games. Fans hoping to make the trip to Wichita can visit goshockers.com or call 1-316-978-3267 for information. All-session passes range from $50 to $85. Single-game tickets range from $9 to $14.