Bring your radios....(officially)

Geoff Haxton

You'll be able to listen to each and every ORU regional baseball game on 97.3 fm in Wichita.  I just tested the equipment and it works like a charm.  We'll be broadcasting with one mighty watt at Eck Stadium.  Tell your friends.

Thanks to Dave Garrett.  He helped me walk through a set-up I've never put together before.  He was a big time help.

Can't wait for Friday.

Hax

"Get wall-to-wall Golden Eagle NCAA Baseball Tournament coverage, from the first pitch to the last out, coming to you LIVE from Eck Stadium on the lovely Wichita State University Campus, on the ONE WATT BLOWTORCH, 97.3 FM."

Get wall to wall Golden Eagle Baseball coverage, from the first pitch to the last out, coming to you LIVE from Eck Stadium on the lovely Wichita State University Campus, on the ONE WATT BLOWTORCH, 97.3 FM. 

In keeping with the blowtorch-wanna-be theme, maybe we can get Bic? Lighters as a sponsor for the weekend.

One watt??  Heck, a basic lightbulb is 60 watts!  How far does this thing transmit - 100 feet?

Do we need to sit as close as possible to the press box?

Seriously, Geoff, thanks for going to all the trouble lugging that thing up to Wichita and setting it up.  Honestly, I wondered when we (The Golden Eagle Club) sprung for that thing a few years back if we would ever get that much use out of it.  Glad to hear it still works - as I recall, it wasn't cheap, but Bogus would probably remember the figure better than me...

When Dave bought that transmitter to broadcast basketball games in the Mabee Center I thought it was a great idea, because I love listening to baseball games while watching.  But I found it didn't translate to basketball - too much activity going on, and too intense, to be able to pay close attention to what's being said on the radio. 

This is the PERFECT application for it.  Glad you're breaking it out of the mothballs, Geoff.

You'd be surprised what a watt can do my friends.  I just took my wife's MP3/tuner around the stadium and got the signal in every corner.  I was standing beyond the centerfield wall behind a pavilion and picked it up.  If you have any kind of radio you'll be able to hear it...

The most powerful radio stations out there are 100,000 watts.  My old statioin with that power in Enid, Ok would reach from South of Wichita to Kingfisher and beyond.

One watt can cover a block.

I didn't even know this transmitter existed until Bogus brought it to my attention.  This is an extremely valuable piece of equipment to have.  It is also very easy to set up. 

Team taking bp right now.  They look very lose and ready to go. 

Hax 

This is great.... I'm glad the transmitter was found and that Dave cold walk you through the set up. Baseball is the perfect sport for this to be utilized. If enough people are tuned in at the stadium, Geoff could get the listeners to do a coordinated cheer, etc.

Unfortunately, I will be traveling Friday and Saturday and unable to listen on the radio. I will have my Blackberry though and can get updates - if someone will post them..... please  :-D

If enough people are tuned in at the stadium, Geoff could get the listeners to do a coordinated cheer.

...or bring him food!

On second thought, he could do trivia and give away a free NCAA Regional t-shirts to "anyone in the stadium within the sound of my voice".

An otherwise subdued Eck Stadium crowd is stunned in the 7th inning when an entire section of ORU fans rises enmasse and thunders toward the press box, headphones flying, while screaming:  "I KNOW THIS ONE - IT'S MIKE MOORE!!  IT'S MIKE MOORE!!"  :-D

You can hear the LOVE in his voice when someone brings Geoff food when he's on the air.  If I want to stay on his good side I better pony up!  So what's your favorite broadcast food, Geoff???  Brownies, chocolate chip cookies, pizza, wings??? 

I think the McQuiggs have his undying loyalty - they've fed him well!

Are they the family that had the bar-b-que that Geoff kept raving about? Must have made a great impression.

No, but I forgot about them - I think that was the Kahaulelio's, out in California.  I think that DID leave a great impression on our favorite baseball announcer.

The McQuiggs are from here in OK, but I hear Geoff mention them at almost every game - they travel with the team A LOT.  I've also heard Geoff mention that they have brought him good stuff to eat while he worked. 

Seriously, Geoff, thanks for going to all the trouble lugging that thing up to Wichita and setting it up.  Honestly, I wondered when we (The Golden Eagle Club) sprung for that thing a few years back if we would ever get that much use out of it.  Glad to hear it still works - as I recall, it wasn't cheap, but Bogus would probably remember the figure better than me...

Actually, it wasn't too bad, OT.  The cost of the transmitter was only $1,400 and half of that amount was contributed by a member of the Club.  If we can continue to find uses for broadcasting ORU events in the future, it will definitely be worth the dollars spent.

Actually, it wasn't too bad, OT.  The cost of the transmitter was only $1,400 and half of that amount was contributed by a member of the Club.  If we can continue to find uses for broadcasting ORU events in the future, it will definitely be worth the dollars spent.

Well, $1400 is nothing to sneeze at, especially if the things has been in mothballs the last couple of years.

But MAJOR props to the anonymous donor who ponied up the $700 - now that you mention it, I seem to remember he was quite the ORU baseball fan!  :wink:

You know, with this transmitter, the fan in the stands will be treated to a Regional like none other...  They will be able to hear their local broadcast from their favorite play-by-play guy three hours from home and use their cell phones to send text messages to Geoff during the game at goldeneaglesbaseball@hotmail.com!  How cool is that...an interactive tournament to give your opinions of the game while AT the game?    8-)

As long as someone posts scores during the game so I can keep up..... please.

As long as someone posts scores during the game so I can keep up..... please.

Terry, I'll bet we can get Geoff to update the Board or one of us with Blackjacks/Blackberrys can do it between innings where there is action!!  :lol:

No need for food.  8-) Thanks for the thought though.  I appreciate it very much. 

The Kahaulelio family conducted a massive bbq out in Berkely.  We were right by the water and they cooked up tons of food.  Quite a good time and awesome grub.

The McQuigg's are at every game.  They help Cliff Martin and I make it through countless road trips.  I was feeling horrible at Oakland and they got me a cup of coffee.

Susan Marple (Chap's Mom) brought Cliff and I some In and Out Burger at Long Beach.  She's the best. 

I love these guys that play for ORU.  When you meet their families you see why they are what they are.  That's one tough, talented and special group of individuals. 

Hax

I'll try to update the board as the game moves along.  Enjoy the call of the game where ever you are.  Don't expect fan challenges or contests during the game.... :wink:

I'm sure that WSU will have a horde of bodyguards there for you in the booth, so we probably wouldn't have been able to get those chocolate chip cookies to you anyway!  By the time all your food testers were done with them they'd be all gone! 

All kidding aside, Geoff, I think it's so cool that so many of the parents of these guys travel long distances to be able to see their sons play.  As many on here know, one of my sons played basketball up until this year, and in order for him to play at the school level it meant year 'round games, and in the summer, travel over several states.  To get to where these guys (our baseball team) are, I can't help but think of the sacrifices that these parents have made over YEARS to get their kids to this place, and even now are still there supporting and traveling to see their sons play.  I have great admiration for them.  Many were here over graduation weekend, and I wanted to go up to them and tell them how much I admired what they had done for their sons.  But I didn't!

So I'll take this opportunity - to any parents of players that might read this board, I tip my hat to your years of devotion and sacrifice to bring to fruition the dreams of your sons.  I salute you!