Pair of Aces- TW (3/30/07)

vcboy2000

2007 NCAA Tournament: Pair of aces

by: JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer

5/30/2007

Chapman and Hefner give ORU solid hope for postseason punch

Last year's regular-season game at Wichita State was Chance Chapman's coming-out party. But his appearances at last year's regional contests at Arkansas were something else entirely.

"I think about that experience almost every day," Chapman said.

Pensive reflection on his 2006 postseason shortfalls is sure to help Chapman this week as he takes the mound against Arizona in the first round of the Wichita Regional.

Jeremy Hefner, on the other hand, has no such experience to draw from when the third-seeded Golden Eagles step into Eck Stadium.

"Saw them on ESPN," Hefner said.

So which is better? Hard-knock experience, or blissful ignorance?

ORU coach Rob Walton says the maturation of Chapman into a legitimate ace, the addition from junior college of Hefner as a co-ace, and the recovery from arm surgery of freshman Jerry Sullivan as a third starter gives ORU a good chance of winning in Wichita.

"Biggest change in our program over the last several years, no question," Walton said.

Taking a Chance

Chapman, a 6-foot-4, 200-pound senior from Paso Robles, Calif., came to ORU after three years at Cuesta College in San Luis Obispo, Calif. There he played for former ORU assistant Bob Miller. He hadn't developed yet when Walton recruited him, but Walton saw something.

"We were taking a little bit of a chance because of the lack of experience," Walton said. "But I thought the upside, the potential of what he can do, was greater than that."

The '06 season was halfway over when Chapman made his first career start. In front of an Eck Stadium crowd of 4,038, Chapman gave up just three hits over seven scoreless innings in a 7-1 victory over Wichita State.

Three weeks later, in 4 1/3 scoreless innings of relief against Arkansas, Chapman allowed just two hits. And two weeks after that, before an Allie P. Reynolds Stadium crowd of 3,413 in Stillwater, Chapman again went seven innings and surrendered just three hits and one earned run in a 13-2 win over Oklahoma State.

But then, in one relief appearance and a start in the championship game in Fayetteville, Chapman gave up nine hits and three runs in just four innings pitched.

"I think about that all the time," Chapman said. "I really want payback. I feel like I have unfinished business in the playoffs."

New guy

Unlike Chapman, Hefner arrived at ORU with enough pitching experience to fill the prayer tower.

In two seasons at Seminole College, he went 5-4 and 4-1 and posted respectable earned run averages of 4.03 and 4.25. That was after an All-State high school career at Perkins-Tryon.

"He had more experience, more innings behind him," Walton said. "Hef has just needed to refine his stuff a little bit. . . . And here, with our throwing program, he's throwing twice as much here as he did at Seminole."

Hefner's first start was March 15. Since then, he's been a regular in the rotation despite difficult losses at Cal and at Long Beach State. In Hefner's last four starts, he's averaged 11 strikeouts. He's added a slider and changed arm angles, improving his fastball velocity to 94 mph.

"The difference in velocity has been dramatic," Walton said.

Hefner doesn't think it matters that his only NCAA Tournament experience was in front of a TV last summer.

"It's the same game. Just more people watching you," Hefner said. "There's a little more pressure because it's the NCAA Tournament and you're playing for a national championship. It'll be fun. I love it."

Getting it done

Centenary coach Ed McCann wasn't surprised at ORU's regional triumph in Fayetteville, and he won't be surprised if the Golden Eagles do it again in Wichita.

"I don't think their arms were as good (last year) as their arms are today," McCann said. "You run Chapman out there, hey, you can beat anybody in America. . . . We played LSU, we played Arkansas, we played Texas A&M, and the arms that ORU runs out are better than any of the arms we've seen."

Chapman struck out 19 Centenary batters, breaking the school record he'd tied a month earlier with 17 strikeouts against Arkansas.

Chapman (8-1, 1.23) currently has the lowest career ERA in ORU history (1.34). His 121 strikeouts so far this season (in just 88 innings) ranks third in school history. Chapman's strikeouts per nine innings ratio is 12.7, tied for third in Division I baseball.

Hefner (9-1, 2.53) has been almost as good, striking out 105 (eighth in school history) in just 81 2/3 innings, an average of 11.9 per nine innings that ranks 10th nationally.

"If they pitch the way they're capable of pitching, they're going to give us a chance to win a ballgame in the seventh, eighth or ninth," Walton said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384

john.hoover@tulsaworld.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACES HIGH

Top 2007 performances for ORU's top pitchers

Chance Chapman

Feb. 27, 9-1 win over Kansas

Strikes out 9, scatters four hits and throws seven scoreless innings infirst start andfirst win of the season.

March 27, 5-3 win over Arkansas

Ties ORU recordwith 17 Ks, gives up 5 hits in 8 2/3 innings.

April 21, 5-4 win over Southern Utah

In 6 scoreless innings, strikes out 12 with no walks.

May 4,15-2 win over Oakland

Gives up 8 hits over 8 innings, allowsfirst earned run in a month, strikes out 13.

May 11, 12-1 win over Centenary

In first complete gameof the year, throws 150 pitches and shattersORUrecordwith 19 strikeouts.

Jeremy Hefner

March 15, 12-0 win over Penn State

In first Division I start, gives up 1 hit and 0 walks with 7 strikeouts in 7 innings.

March 31, 4-1 win over Bethune-Cookman

Records first career complete game, striking out 11, walking 1 and scattering four hits.

April 21, 7-0 win over Southern Utah

In first of 3 straight 7-inning complete games, strikes out 13 and walks 2 while allowing 2 hits.

April 28, 8-0 win over Valparaiso

In second straight 7-inning complete-game shutout, strikes out 11, walks 2 and scatters 4 hits.

May 25, 4-2 win over Valparaiso

In the Mid-Con title game, throws second 9-inning complete game, scattering 5 hits, striking out 9 and allowing 0 earned runs.

Nice article, but it seriously underrates Jerry Sullivan.  Yes, he's the third starter, but he may have the best stuff on the staff. 

You have to love Rob Walton's eye for talent - and his ability to get the best out of his pitchers. How about the mention of Hefner adding a slider and changing 'arm angles' to increase his velocity? You think Walton had a little input on those changes?

I love this quote by Rob. "Hef has just needed to refine his stuff a little bit. . . . And here, with our throwing program, he's throwing twice as much here as he did at Seminole."  It's great having one of the country's best pitching coaches leading your program.

Reading this makes me really miss ORU baseball..... win one or ten for the Gipper.

Reading this makes me really miss ORU baseball..... win one or ten for the Gipper.

You aren't going to make it this weekend?