It's Official: We're Going to Wichita!

vcboy2000

1. WSU

4. Univ of New Orleans

3. ORU

2. Univ of Arizona

I'm not sure anybody seriously thought we'd make it to this regional. Don't know much about Arizona or New Orleans, but I think it's safe to say that any team making it to this point should be taken seriously. This is probably as winnable a region as any. I'm sure the guys will come out focused and ready to play. They know what a Super Regional taste like, and they'll want to taste it again.

I am happy with this regional.  Arizona, however, has some of the best arms in the country.  I really was not trying to see somebody who had such good arms, but Arkansas and OSU had great arms last year too.  WHat they didn't have was duffy, rothford, and Kelly M......

It's winnable.

Arizona's baseball forum: GoCats

As usual with big schools we don't normally see, it looks like they may overlook us.

As some of you probably know, Mr. May (as he has been characterized by some) played at Arizona last year.  Below is his bio from the ORU website:

Before ORU

Played last year for the University of Arizona ? Appeared in 13 games while starting seven ? Hit .303 with 10 hits, including a double and a triple, scored eight runs, and had 3 RBI ? Spent his first two years at Santa Rosa Junior College in Calif. ? Registered 13 RBI in the State California Championship to lead Santa Rosa to the 2005 championship.

High School

Prepped at Casa Grande High School in Petaluma, Calif. ? Lead CGHS in winning the 2001 North Coast Section Championship ? Also lettered in football and basketball ? Garnered all-league honors in baseball, football, and basketball ? Was named Male Athlete of the Year his senior year.

Personal

Full name is Stephen Pearson ? Son of Harry and Lois Pearson ? Communication major ? Born April 22, 1984.

I have a feeling that Mr. Clutch will be providing a full scouting report before the end of the day today.

1. WSU

4. Univ of New Orleans

3. ORU

2. Univ of Arizona

I'm not sure anybody seriously thought we'd make it to this regional. Don't know much about Arizona or New Orleans, but I think it's safe to say that any team making it to this point should be taken seriously. This is probably as winnable a region as any. I'm sure the guys will come out focused and ready to play. They know what a Super Regional taste like, and they'll want to taste it again.

- WSU is ranked #15 in this week's Baseball America Top 25 Poll; Arizona is #17.

- Collegiate Baseball has Arizona at #11, WSU at #17 and ORU at #24.

- ESPN/USA Today's College Coaches' Poll has Wichita State at #14, Arizona at #15 and ORU with 6 votes to put it in a tie for #38. (at least someone is voting for us - Rob Walton?)

- The National College Baseball Writers' Poll has Arizona in at #12, WSU at #14 and ORU coming in at #30 (it's a Top 30 Poll)

- The Rivals.com Poll shows Wichita State at #15, UA at #16 and ORU is at #30 if the poll is extended to other teams considered.

This should be a very good regional.  I don't think that we can take anyone for granted in this regional.  If you're in to good, competitive college baseball, it sounds like Wichita is the place to be this weekend!!

An interesting discussion on the WSU board about our pitching - they're wondering if we'd risk not throwing our ace against Arizona and try to save him to go against them. 

I'd say Chapman was our ace - he set a new ERA and new strike-out record along with multiple pitching awards this season.  But he's not who we threw against WSU in EITHER game - Jerry Sullivan got both of those wins, and he's only improved since then!

I think it's pretty obvious, based on the regular rotation as well as previous success against Wichita State, that we use Chapman against Arizona, and if we're successful in that game, Sully goes against the Shockers in game three.

Others agree?

An interesting discussion on the WSU board about our pitching - they're wondering if we'd risk not throwing our ace against Arizona and try to save him to go against them. 

I'd say Chapman was our ace - he set a new ERA and new strike-out record along with multiple pitching awards this season.  But he's not who we threw against WSU in EITHER game - Jerry Sullivan got both of those wins, and he's only improved since then!

I think it's pretty obvious, based on the regular rotation as well as previous success against Wichita State, that we use Chapman against Arizona, and if we're successful in that game, Sully goes against the Shockers in game three.

Others agree?

Totally agree.  Jeremy Hefner has been our #2 starter in weekend rotations, but with the success that Jerry has had with WSU, it's only natural that Sullivan would start in a second round game with WSU.  If, for some reason, WSU would stub its toe against UNO, then I think you will see us revert back to our normal rotation.

Hey guys, its nice to see you in our regional. Hopefully its WSU/ORU championship game. We have built a good rivaly, we feel that we prolly got the best 3 seed out there in our regional. But anyways it will be fun chatting with you leading up to this weekend. Best of Luck to you!

Go Shox!!!

Here's a view of the stadium.  For those that haven't been there, the field has an artificial turf infield and grass outfield.  The ball scoots pretty fast off the bat, so the infielders have a task of reacting quickly to ground balls (although you don't have to worry as much about bad hops, except off of the slide boxes).

Here's a view of the stadium.  For those that haven't been there, the field has an artificial turf infield and grass outfield.  The ball scoots pretty fast off the bat, so the infielders have a task of reacting quickly to ground balls (although you don't have to worry as much about bad hops, except off of the slide boxes).

This is where having that indoor facility would have been nice to get the guys used to the turf, but then again we didn't need it the previous times we beat them at home.

This is where having that indoor facility would have been nice to get the guys used to the turf, but then again we didn't need it the previous times we beat them at home.

At the watch party, I overheard Coach Walton tell the players he would see them at Owasso, so they could get some practice in on the turf.

Others agree?

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me to see us stick to our recent rotation order:  Chapman, Heffner, Sullivan, Ashman.

In that scenario, Hefner would be pitching in either an elimination game Saturday afternoon or the winners' bracket game that evening; Sullivan would be pitching in either an elimination game on Sunday afternoon or the championship game that night.

Despite Sullivan's success against WSU several weeks ago, I assume Coach Walton has been sticking to that order for a reason lately...