Regional Sites Announced

Mike Minyard

Regional Sites Announced

May 27, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS ? The NCAA Division I Baseball Committee announced 16 regional sites for the 61st annual NCAA Division I Baseball Championship.

The 16 regional sites, with host institutions and records through Saturday, May 26, are as follows: Arizona St. (43-13), Tempe, Ariz.; Arkansas (41-18), Fayetteville, Ark.; Coastal Caro. (48-11), Conway, S.C.; Florida St. (47-11), Tallahassee, Fla.; Long Beach St. (36-18), Long Beach, Calif.; Missouri (40-16), Columbia, Mo.; North Carolina (47-12), Chapel Hill, N.C.; Ole Miss (37-23), Oxford, Miss.; Rice (48-12), Houston; San Diego (42-16), San Diego; South Carolina (42-18), Columbia, S.C.; Texas (44-15), Austin, Texas; Texas A&M (43-16), College Station, Texas; Vanderbilt (50-11), Nashville; Virginia (43-14), Charlottesville, Va.; Wichita St. (49-19), Wichita, Kan.

The regional hosted by Coastal Caro. will be played at Coastal Federal Field in Myrtle Beach, S.C., and the regional hosted by Texas will be played at Dell Diamond in Round Rock, Texas.

By virtue of being awarded a regional, eight of the host institutions also have been selected as at-large teams to the 64-team field. Florida St., Long Beach St., Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia and Wichita St., have made the field as at-large selections. Arkansas, North Carolina, Rice, San Diego, Texas A&M and Vanderbilt, would clinch automatic berths by winning their conference tournament championship, which are scheduled for Sunday afternoon. A loss in those tournament championship games makes them an at-large selection. Arizona St. and Coastal Caro. have already clinched automatic berths by virtue of winning the Pacific-10 and Big South Conference, respectively. Each regional field features four teams, playing a double-elimination format. All 16 regionals are scheduled to be conducted from Friday, June 1, to Monday, June 4.

Coastal Caro., Missouri, San Diego and Vanderbilt will host a regional for the first time, while Long Beach St., North Carolina and Virginia are hosting for the third time in school history. This will be the 26th time that Florida St. has hosted a regional, while Texas is hosting for the 23rd time and Arizona St. is hosting for the 17th time. South Carolina (11th) and Wichita St. (10th) are the only other institutions to host 10 or more times since the NCAA went to the regional format in 1975.

Rice and Texas A&M are hosting a regional for the sixth time, while Arkansas and Ole Miss are hosting for the fourth time. Long Beach St., North Carolina, Virginia are all hosting for the third time. Six sites (Arkansas, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Rice, Texas and Virginia) also hosted in 2006.

The remaining at-large teams, top-eight national seeds, first-round regional pairings and site assignments will be announced at 12:30 p.m. Eastern time, Monday, May 28, during a live, half-hour program on ESPN. The committee will set the entire 64-team bracket through both the super regionals and the first round of the Men?s College World Series, and will not reseed the field after play begins. Selection of the eight super regional hosts will be announced on www.NCAASports.com, Monday, June 4 at approximately 11 p.m. (ET).

Thirty Division I conferences receive an automatic berth in the field of 64, along with 34 at-large selections. The 61st Men?s College World Series begins play Friday, June 15, at Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha, Nebraska.

OTHER REGIONAL SITE SELECTION INFORMATION

Southeastern      4 (Arkansas, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Vanderbilt)

Atlantic Coast    3 (Florida St., North Carolina, Virginia)

Big 12            3 (Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M)

Big South        1 (Coastal Caro.)

Big West          1 (Long Beach St.)

Conference USA    1 (Rice)

Missouri Valley  1 (Wichita St.)

Pacific-10        1 (Arizona St.)

West Coast        1 (San Diego)

Thanks, MM!  :-D

So Wichita snares a regional despite losing two in the Valley tournament - a testament to their ability to host and fill the seats, no doubt!

Other drivable possibilities for the Golden Eagles:  Houston (Rice), Austin/Round Rock (Texas). College Station (A&M), Columbia, MO (Missouri), Fayetteville (Arkansas), and Nashville (Vanderbilt).

No regional for TCU in Fort Worth...

I will be researching ticket prices for all the regional sites today.  I'll do my best to have the information needed at the watch party.  As usual, we will get an allotment of tickets.  So please just call the athletic department at 918-495-7151 or e-mail me (PREFER - mminyard@oru.edu) to get on the ticket list.  That allotment will cover player guest tickets, university requests, and athletic administration.  Golden Eagle Club members will have first priority with the remaining tickets.  More information will be available at www.orugoldeneagles.com as it becomes available.

Other drivable possibilities for the Golden Eagles:  Houston (Rice), Austin/Round Rock (Texas). College Station (A&M), Columbia, MO (Missouri), Fayetteville (Arkansas), and Nashville (Vanderbilt).

Of the drivable locations for us to follow the team, here are the distance and times as noted on Yahoo! Maps:

Location             Host School      Miles    Drive Time

Fayetteville, AR       Arkansas          118.1           1:51

Wichita, KS             Wichita State    176.5           2:38

Columbia, MO          Missouri           350.3           5:18

Round Rock, TX       Texas               434.8           6:38

College Station, TX  Texas A&M        438.3           6:45

Oxford, MS              Ole Miss          486.1          7:05

Houston, TX            Rice                 507.6           7:47 (to Hobby Int'l. Airport)

Nashville, TN           Vanderbilt        614.9           8:56

Was anyone else as surprised as I was that Columbia, Missouri is roughly 100 miles closer to Tulsa than any of the Texas sites?  :-o

I know I was surprised.  I thought it was close to the same distance as Austin.  To my disappointment, it would have been nice to throw in the DFW Metroplex into the equation as another, alternative site.  There's a lot of alumni there that could have helped us with yelling at the umps!!  :)

I vote for Houston!  But if it happens, please know that you won't make it from ORU to Rice in 7 1/2 hours...unless you have a great radar detector, a greater bladder, and no traffic in Dallas or Houston (since Rice U. is south of downtown Houston).

GO EAGLES!

Will someone confirm if Ole Miss is really just a little over 7 hours away?

Will someone confirm if Ole Miss is really just a little over 7 hours away?

I have added Ole Miss to the list above and modified the Rice location to travel to south Houston by using Hobby International Airport as a spot to drive to (obviously, if you fly to Hobby, you can cut your time down dramatically).  :lol:

I didn't realize Ole Miss was so close to us, but it's really just about an hour (80 miles) south of Memphis...closer than Houston.