Re: Regional Sites Announced Today

Old Titan

While the field of 64 will not be announced until tomorrow, the 16 regional hosts will actually be announced some time today (Sunday).

I'm trying to find out when, but if anyone else knows, please post it here.  Thanks!

In a a related story, Wichita State probably cost themselves any chance of hosting a regional by losing the MVC championship game yesterday to Creighton, 10-9 in 11 innings.

The Shockers took a 9-6 lead in the top of the 11th, only to surrender four runs in the bottom of the frame.

Which means the only potential regional sites within reasonable driving distance for ORU fans from Tulsa appear to be Fayetteville, Houston, Austin, or possibly Fort Worth...

As I understand it, if Texas gets a host site, it will be at the Houston Astros' AAA-affiliate ballpark in Round Rock (a suburb of Austin) as the UT stadium is under renovation.  If this is true, that would provide a distinct advantage to the traveling teams since they would not have to play on that dreaded artifical turf which is impossible to get used to in a three-day Tournament.

As for Wichita, it's unfortunate that they folded the way that they did and, I agree with you OT, they lost the chance of hosting once again.  Wichita is a great venue - especially for those from Tulsa that want to travel.  It's a great ballpark and the town is much like Tulsa in its friendliness (although once they get inside the ballpark they do a transformation for a few hours). 

I think that TCU/Fort Worth will take the host slot that was reserved for Wichita.  TCU has a really good team and will be tough to beat in a regional.  If we're there, let's hope they are a #1 seed and we maintain our #3 seed and hopefully they will use their stud pitcher in the first game so that we don't see him.

I think that TCU/Fort Worth will take the host slot that was reserved for Wichita.  TCU has a really good team and will be tough to beat in a regional.  If we're there, let's hope they are a #1 seed and we maintain our #3 seed and hopefully they will use their stud pitcher in the first game so that we don't see him.

That's great news about the Texas regional - not only is Round Rock neutral, it's simply a nicer ball park.  Disch-Falk at UT is really antiseptic, and the bright green artificial turf only adds to the kitschy atmosphere.

----

Personally, I would love to see us go to Fort Worth - we would have some fans there and we're familiar with the opponent.  I bet our guys would love to get a second crack at them, and the Horned Frogs might take us for granted.

----

I kind of doubt TCU will throw their ace in their first-round game if they are a #1 seed playing at home.

If you were the TCU coach, and had someone like Prairie View State as your first round opponent, would YOU throw your #1?

When we were a #1 seed a couple of times in the 80's and playing at Johnson Stadium, Larry Cochell saved our best pitcher for the second game, figuring it was more important for that guy to either stave off elimination in the loser's bracket or put us into the championship game from the winner's bracket, than it was to waste him against an inferior #4 seed...

Fort Worth would be great for its fan base and proximity to Tulsa - but I don't like the matchup.  Having to play a #2 seed on its home field is something NO #3 seed looks forward to - especially when they have an ace on the mound.  I'm quite sure the Frogs would throw their ace against the Eagles - as they would know enough about ORU to respect us.  With our history and experience in the NCAA tournament, no #2 seed wants to see a #3 ORU in their bracket!

With the depth in our starting pitching, this is one year that I believe we could lose a game in the tourney and still have the confidence to come back to win it all.  Bring on the NCAA!

Fort Worth would be great for its fan base and proximity to Tulsa - but I don't like the matchup.  Having to play a #2 seed on its home field is something NO #3 seed looks forward to - especially when they have an ace on the mound.  I'm quite sure the Frogs would throw their ace against the Eagles - as they would know enough about ORU to respect us.  With our history and experience in the NCAA tournament, no #2 seed wants to see a #3 ORU in their bracket!

Couldn't TCU be a low-seeded #1?

In that event, ORU would have to be a high-ranked #4 to face them in the first round.  If ORU is a low-seeded #3 as expected, TCU would have to be a highly-ranked #2 for ORU to draw them on the first in Fort Worth.

Either scenario is possible, but if TCU and ORU are #2 and #3 respectively, that would be one tough regional...