Coach: Umpires partially missed call - Tulsa World (5-26-2007)

ORUTerry

Coach: Umpires partially missed call

Tulsa World Link

by JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer

5/26/2007

ORU coach Rob Walton said he didn't have a problem with either his ejection or that of second baseman Jake Kahaulelio during the Golden Eagles' 4-2 victory over Valparaiso on Friday in the semifinals of the Mid-Continent Conference Tournament.

But Walton was tossed for arguing that Kahaulelio's shove of Crusader baserunner Jeff Rickert was a reaction to Rickert initiating the conflict, and said Rickert should have also been thrown out. Walton also complained about the actions of Valpo coach Tracy Woodson leading up to the ejections.

After a hit ball struck a baserunner going from first to second, the umpiring crew needed a few seconds to determine the correct call. That sent Woodson into a fury, and Kahaulelio and Rickert eventually began barking at each other.

Walton said Kahaulelio was at his second-base position when Rickert responded to a verbal exchange by leaving the bag at second base and walking into Kahaulelio's space.

"The kid came out and bumped Jake, and my guy pushed him back," Walton said. "He shouldn't have pushed him back, but he did, and that's the only thing they saw."

Walton said Woodson then started in on Kahaulelio himself.

"All of a sudden, I see him actually reaching over (left fielder) Pat Warfle, who's got him," Walton said. "(Warfle) is pushing him away from Jake, but he's reaching over (Warfle) trying to get him. Then when I get there, he's cussing at my second baseman, telling me he's going to beat his a- -. I'm wondering what in the world's going on. I told him to get his players in the dugout. And he ends up popping off to me."  (Incredible)

Both Walton and Kahaulelio will be able to participate in Saturday's championship game, said Mid-Con associate commissioner Ed Grom.

Gee, I wonder if Woodson will be suepended or anything or his actions,

OH, WAIT - I FORGOT:  AFTER THURSDAY, THEY'RE NOT IN THE LEAGUE ANYMORE!!

I'm telling you, we - and the conference - are lucky they've been eliminated.  Today could have been a real disciplinary mess if they had been in the championship game(s).

They should never have been allowed to participate in this tournament in the first place.

Do you realize that if they had won this tournament, technically they wouldn't even have been members of the Mid-Con when they played in the NCAA regional next weekend?

How embarrassing would it have been of the league to have a representative in the NCAA tournament that had just jilted them?

It would be like going to the prom with a girl who just broke up with you - where's the fun in that?

Great points, OT.  If the league had considered that aspect at all I would think that they should have ruled Valpo as ineligible in post-season. 

As far as Woodson's behavior yesterday, it was ridiculous.  Personally I'm happy we aren't playing them again today.  Their coach is unstable.

Woodson is just jealous.... and bitter. Utter domination can do that to you, I guess.

There's also a huge difference between coaching in Double-A/Triple-A and coaching a third-tier college baseball program.  Woodson has probably had a huge transition this season from where he was at this time last year. 

It's possible that Woodson, knowing the difference in the level of talent between ORU and his team (and with the score tied 0-0), took the position that he was not going to let a player intimidate one of his players to get a competitive advantage.  Woodson probably felt like that his team was still in the hunt and was probably patting himself on the back pretty good when they scored the two runs after the altercation. 

The talent level between ORU and Valpo is markedly different and every team gets lucky (like the triple two batters later), but not consistently.  If both of these teams play 20 times, ORU wins 18-19 times.  It's pretty disheartening when you only have a 5% chance of winning - and Woodson has been around the game long enough to understand that. 

Regardless, the umpires handled this very poorly and Rob was justified in disputing the calls and Jake's ejection (without any other player/coach being disqualified) and getting himself ejected.  I think that Ed Grom stated on the broadcast that the umpires had no choice but to eject Rob when he confronted the umpires again, but the umpires created that situation without anyone's help.

I'm sure that Woodson is jealous...I'm not sure that he's unstable, though.  There are a lot of unwritten rules in baseball that makes the game all the more interesting.  :-)

Usually, the transition points for teams leaving one conference to go to another is July 1st, because baseball and softball are still being played in June.

I would guess that Valpo's transition to the Horizon League wouldn't be official until July 1st, but I did think it was strange that the Summit League made the name change on June 1st instead of July 1st.

When ORU plays in a regional, will we representing the Mid-Con or the Summit League?  I guess we will Mid-Con champs representing the Summit League.

Valpo should be embarrassed by their baseball coach's actions.  No coach should go on to the field of play and tell an opposing team's player that he is going to kick their a**.  What kind of an example does that set for his players the next time they get in a conflict with a player from an opposing team. 

That is a horrible representation for their university, and hopefully their athletic director will address the situation with their coach so that it doesn't happen again.  He should have been kicked out of the game for doing that, no question.

I credit our team for keeping their cool.  I understand that Jake had to defend himself when another player moves off the base aggressively towards him.  In that situation, both players should have been thrown out, not just Jake.  But the rest of the team kept their eye on the goal, and looked past the heat of the moment and remembered what they were there for.

Valpo should be embarrassed by their baseball coach's actions.  No coach should go on to the field of play and tell an opposing team's player that he is going to kick their a**.   What kind of an example does that set for his players the next time they get in a conflict with a player from an opposing team. 

That's the difference between pro ball and college ball.  Cussing at an opposing player really isn't an issue in the minors.  This is what leads me to believe that Woodson is having some trouble with transitioning to college ball and holding his emotions in check.