Missouri State hangover...

Guest EagleBackr

Guest EagleBackr

...from last night's debacle. Can't figure this team's problem out - I doubt it's as simple as some of you would like to make it. This much is true:

? I DON'T CARE IF "LSG" WAS THE SECOND-COMING OF BRYCE DREW - HE GRADUATED - HE'S GONE - IT HAPPENS IN COLLEGE - GET USED TO IT!! I mean, we're missing Mark Acres, Cat Johnson and Richard Fuqua, too, but THEY'RE GONE NOW - TIME TO LET GO, PEOPLE!!

? Larry Owens limped off the floor during the final timeout and never returned, while Glenn Smith looked at his KNEE. He seemed EXTREMELY emotional on the bench, grimacing in what looked more like ANGUISH than pain. Does anyone have any idea the extent of his injury?

? Missouri State looked like a REALLY good team. Coupled with Northern Iowa's defeat of Iowa and Indiana State's win over Indiana the night before, it may be time to declare the Missouri Valley Conference, at least this season, is no "mid-major" conference, and may rate as many as FOUR NCAA participants.

? I'm not posting again until I'm convinced this team is ready to turn in a consistant performance EVERY TIME OUT. I'm tired of getting my hopes up...

Guest Rob Marshall

EB, have an improved opinion of Barry Hinson after last night's game?

I understand your frustration with ORU's effort, but give MSU credit, there were the better team ... perhaps not more athletic, but a better team. Don't give up on the message board in protest of the Golden Eagles' intensity level ... to do so, would show more apathy than what you're accusing your team of.

Your takes are needed here. Don't go away.

Tell me this - with the MSU lead growing rapidly, our guys taking rushed, ill-advised shots that miss, MSU fast breaking against little or no defense for easy buckets, WHERE WAS OUR COACHING???

I've never been critical of the coaching staff before, not even after the Oakland loss last season, when a lot of others were. But I feel something should have been done to at least ATTEMPT to stanch the hemorrhage that was occurring in the second half. Very frustrating.

Marshall:

We get it...You LOVE "B" and his Bears! They are a very good team and everyone here understands that now. It seems your last 10 or so posts have been about promoting MSU and Barry. We just got our hats handed to us and I'm not a MSU fan right now, regardless of what a great guy their coach is. Barry left ORU because he obviously thought it was a better place to coach-so I would have liked it if ORU culd have beaten him AGAIN. (I know...I know... had Chaney played in the game last year they would have destroyed us then too!)

Barry's a great guy. I enjoyed his interview with Mark Neely last night a thalftime. After that, it's hard not to like Barry Hinson.

There is no doubt in my mind that you were NOT sitting on the fence last night-not sure who to root for. You were for MSU and that's OK but quit acting like you're a big ORU fan.

Were you in the locker room at the half with TU? (you lead us to believe you were in an earlier post)

Were you in the locker room at the half with MSU? (just guessing because you and Barry are so close)

Am I the only one tired of hearing about Barry and MSU? Not attacking you, Rob just saying I think everone gets your point-The Bears are a very good basketball team and Barry has done a nice job

Rob C.

Guest EagleBackr
EB, have an improved opinion of Barry Hinson after last night's game?

Your takes are needed here. Don't go away.

...I've NEVER been one of the ones who criticize Barry Hinson - I was sorry when he left, and I've missed him since. I always thought Barry was the PERFECT coach for ORU - part philosopher, part evangelist, part P.T. Barnum. The thing that I was most impressed with regarding Barry was that he OVERACHIEVED with the talent he had here...

(...and the sardonic tone of this post and others lately is why I'm taking a sabbatical - I need to cool off for a few weeks...)

Marshall:

Am I the only one tired of hearing about Barry and MSU? Not attacking you, Rob just saying I think everone gets your point-The Bears are a very good basketball team and Barry has done a nice job

Rob C.

I totally agree - I'm sure others do also. Well said Rob C

Guest Rob Marshall

Enjoy your time of rest and relaxation from the forum, EB; takes a real man to know when he's had enough and it's time to walk away. 8)

Guest Mount Baldy

I've heard that Larry just "tweaked" his knee. A little sore but he'll be fine by Northern Colorado. Last night, the better team won. ORU may be the better team by February but Mo. State was much hungrier in the second half. No shame in losing to an undefeated and very good team. With the increased difficulty of this schedule, fans shouldn't expect 25 wins. You can't have it both ways - either play a tough (and attractive) schedule and sacrifice some wins (but build RPI) or play a bunch of patsies in front of an empty arena and stock up on cheap victories (and hurt your RPI). I'll take fewer wins against more attractive competition! By the way, not a bad crowd last night considering the snow.

There are some better games in general but ORU can win 23 games without defeating a single team in the top 100. I wouldnt call this years schedule very hard but last years was TERRIBLE. The next 2 games are against total dogs, I think they are 0-13 combined or something. ORU should POUND both those teams.... who knows, maybe get some confidence, HIT SOME OPEN SHOTS, and beat Utah St and OU...

ash =o)

I've heard that Larry just "tweaked" his knee. A little sore but he'll be fine by Northern Colorado. Last night, the better team won. ORU may be the better team by February but Mo. State was much hungrier in the second half. No shame in losing to an undefeated and very good team. With the increased difficulty of this schedule, fans shouldn't expect 25 wins. You can't have it both ways - either play a tough (and attractive) schedule and sacrifice some wins (but build RPI) or play a bunch of patsies in front of an empty arena and stock up on cheap victories (and hurt your RPI). I'll take fewer wins against more attractive competition! By the way, not a bad crowd last night considering the snow.

I just was browsing to see what fans thought of our team and wanted to defend them just a bit here. I think that you saw Missouri State play by FAR their worst game of the year last night. I would really be surprised if ORU improved that much to be better in February. This game on many nights could have been even uglier. (Of course with the way the referees allowed the game to be played should I say it looked like football?)

Ahearn hasn't missed that many open (albeit some of them long) shots in over a year.

I mean this post to be complimentary. ORU has a GREAT team with classy fans and players. I FULLY expect them to be dancing at the end of the year and then the nation can see what a truly good basketball team you have there in Tulsa.