Chris Riouse

JoeyO

Chris Riouse took four shots last night. He made three of them. They were all 3's. He played 19 minutes. Ken played 38 minutes and was 1-6 from three point land. Johnny was 1-8 and played 31 minutes. Riouse has proven himself as a defender (second half against Utah State) and is a lethal shooter. Maybe we should start sharing time a little more. I think if the pressure is off Ken and he doesn't have to be the only three point threat, then he will start really getting in a groove. It's time for Chris to be the first option off the bench (followed by Chello). I know I'm not the only one seeing this...

I have been saying that since last season when Chris came off the bench to shoot 7 of 9 or something crazy odd like that....people looked at me weird but he is a great shooter, just not as skilled of a ball handler..

No way he should get minutes from those guys. ORU will go as far as JB and Tutt will take them. Green is a given and consistent, if JB/Tutt can get comfortable without the crutch that was LSG, ORU will be hard to stop. They wont get comfortable on the bench.

People fail to realize that teams have scouted Tutt as a shooter and shadow him. Riouse does not get NEAR the attention or pressue when he is in the game. If Riouse got 30+ minutes and took 10 shots per game, he would get the same attention. He is best served as a spark from the bench and I think Sutton and staff are using him brilliantly.

ash =o)

Riouse is shooting well so I don't see why he shouldn't get those minutes. Most of Chris's shots are contested... unlike Bluitt who usually shoots without a defender within 5-7 feet. I don't think Bluitt should STOP taking those wide open shots; he just needs to make them!

Yeah I gotta throw my hat in Riouse's corner...he should be getting a lot more minutes the way he's been shooting the ball

On a much more random note - I've been very anti-Nike for several years since I got out of my "high tops are the coolest" phase in early high school (when I realized braces and a comb-over didn't mesh well with $120 Penny Hardaway's), but I've been seeing these new "LeBron Family" commercials lately and they're absolutely hilarious. But I'm still not buying Nikes.

I agree, those LeBron commercials are downright hilarious. Makes me feel like I'm in middle school watching Nutty Professor all over again.

As for Riouse, heck, once he's healthy I'd say give him a start or two, but give Ken slightly more minutes than Chris. Whatever Ken's problem is I'm guessing it's mental if he's missing wide-open shots that we've seen him hit with such consistency the past 2 years. Or whether he's gotten lazy or not, I don't know. My philosophy with any sport is that you play whoever gives you the best chance to win, usually the guy(s) with the hot hand at any given time, and right now I think Riouse deserves at least a chance to prove that he can perform better than Ken has been as of late.

This reminds me of Tulsa fans wanting to bench Harrington his Junior year. Riouse has always been a good shooter but he is not much else. Rarely do you see him get a rebound, make a good pass, get a steal, etc. Should we throw away last season and base benching Tutt or taking his minutes on the 24 shots Riouse has taken all year?

ash =o)

My original intent on this post was to point out that Chris could take some pressure off Ken. The biggest area we are lacking is our shooting. We swing the ball around and unless Ken has it, we have no shooting threat. And Ash, you are dead wrong about him just being a shooter. I don't know if you were at the Utah State game but did you see the white kid on their team (forgive me for forgetting his name) who smoked us in the first half and beginning of the second half? We put Chris on him and he absolutely shut him down. If Chris wouldn't have been on him that game would not have been as close as it was. He is LETHAL from behind the arc and is a stopper on D. You are wrong.

Chris is/was obviously healthier this year and it shows in his foot speed and leaping. He battled a serious shin (splints?) condition all of last year. Not sure he is totally over it, but is better than last year.

Chris is a weapon in our arsenal and should be used. The coaches know what mix to use and Chris will see his share of court time. Check out his shooting percentage (50%) from last year from beyond the 3-point line: http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/doc_lib/Combined%20Stats%20-%20ORU.pdf..... though he only took 38 3-point shots all year.

I think he should be used as he is being used... as a spark off the bench. His stats on rebounding, steals and assists speak for themselves. If you are saying he should get 3 more minutes of Tutt's time, I think that is fine but the feeling I got was that people wanted a role reversal.

ash =o)

Agreed.... I am not saying for Riouse to replace Tutt. He is a weapon that should be used and relied on when he gets hot - like the Oakland game last year. We just want the old Tutt back.

Agreed.... I am not saying for Riouse to replace Tutt. He is a weapon that should be used and relied on when he gets hot - like the Oakland game last year. We just want the old Tutt back.

I don't think Tutt wants to shoot like he is right now. I think he shot much better last game though. Nobody on this team needs to have 20+ shot attempts in a game except for maybe Caleb if our opponent can't guard him. Maybe when he is having one of those games where he smiles ear to ear all day. Tutt had such a great freshman year shooting the ball and it probably made us give him unfair expectations. He has a plaque in the basketball hall of fame because he shot so well that year.

It would be nice if we could find the little mental or physical alteration that has occurred since his freshman year and cure it. I'm sure Ken wishes for that more than any of us do.

I bet he gets his shooting touch back. Even now, Ken is still a very potent offensive weapon. Let's look at his season statistics: he's averaging 35.1 min/game, more than any other player. He's nothing if not durable! We are concerned about his "shooting slump" but he's still scoring 15.8 ppg. Only Caleb is scoring more. Overall Ken's FG percentage is 41% - not stellar but not bad, either.

I think we need to relax a little bit about Ken - he's going to do just fine this season. I suspect that he's putting a lot of pressure on himself, and that's probably part of his trouble. If he will just relax and do what comes natural to him his shooting touch will return.