JB & LSG

maniac prez

I said a few weeks ago that this team will only be able to go as far as JB. JB had easily one of the worst games of his career tonight and we got our butts kicked. I noticed many times JB putting the ball inside for Caleb, Caleb got double teamed by JB's man, Caleb kicked it out to JB, JB shoots and of course misses. What should have happened is JB passes to Caleb and picks away or moves to the baseline, that way it frees up a shooter (Ken, Chris) to come over and receive that pass from Caleb. Thats just one thing, there are so many more, but I just noticed that several times tonight... JB I think is simply feeling the pressure of having to be the "leader" of this team. We miss LSG big time, even when he was hurt 2 yrs ago, he was there for the guys, he was their leader, but now he's gone and JB is freaking out, and it is showing in his play. JB is playing with no confidence it looks like, he's hesitating and that is just something you cannot have out of your PG. I also don't think that we are running enough plays for our guards, they are having to take way too many contested shots, not enough screens and cuts in my opinion. I agree that we should always look to Caleb first, but most of the looks that our guards are getting are off of kick-outs from Caleb. Whatever happened to the guards passing and cutting or passing and picking away, and the post players running pick and rolls with the guards. It just seems like our offense is so stagnent, not much motion, a lot of standing. Caleb is going to be getting even more attention until our guards and coaches figure something out. Hope they figure something out soon, this month-long road trip could be a toughy if they don't...

Hate to say I told you so but see my pre-season post.... ORU will pull it together just like TU did when they lost Harrington. People underestimate senior leadership and the experience/time it takes to overcome the loss of a LSG...

ash =o)

It's next to impossible to replace LSG. He was a leader on and off the court, he always had the respect of his teammates and he strived to set an example always with the way he played the game and the way he lived his life. He was definitely the most beloved athlete I'd ever seen at ORU (with Prince Mumba a close 2nd). He was definitely a calming presence on the floor. We all know that he was a great shut-down defender, and he was one of our best shooters hands down until he got that back injury last year.

Here's the thing - I doubt JB or anyone on the ORU roster for that matter can fill those shoes, so, just Ash has been saying, they need to just get used not having that. Will the team adjust and find ways to win? I sure hope so.

Just as with TU... you dont get used to it until you have to. ORU has to now... I am confident they will adjust. Bluitt needs to step it up, he is a much better player than he is showing. When they can leave him open, that gives them a man to shadow Tutt or double Green.

ash =o)