Misssouri State Basketball

Guest Rob Marshall

Guest Rob Marshall

Barry Hinson is doing a fantastic job at Missouri State University with the Bears basketball program. He has put together a terrific coaching staff, and he has a great group of student-athletes.

There have been MANY who criticized Barry Hinson for his coaching and recruiting abilities, and I hope they appreciate now what an absolutely fantastic job he's doing at MSU. He had tremendous poise when his team fell down by nine (9) and he never worried when his leading scorer hadn't made a bucket through thirty minutes plus of the game.

When Barry took the Bears coaching job, it was a "bad" job from a timing and fan expectations standpoint. Following a coach like Steve Alford and taking over a team that was coming off an emotionally extreme season (sweet sixteen) was no easy task, but to advance his career it was a move he had to take. He's paid his dues during his first seven seasons in Springfield, and it's nice to see a good guy start to reap his well deserved rewards. Congratulations to Barry Hinson ... a great person first, but also a very solid and respect worthy Division-I basketball coach.

Enough of the Barry Hinson love fest.

He's a nice guy? OK.

He's a good coach? Fine.

In seven years at SMS and two at ORU, he has been to the NCAA tournament how many times? How many regular season conference titles?

I'm sorry, but I am not terribly impressed with him. Never have been. Say what you will, be when he left ORU, he left the program in worse shape than when he inherited it. PERIOD.

Rob, I think the world of you but STILL disagree when it comes to the Missouri St. Midget. They can have him.

I'm sorry, but I am not terribly impressed with him. Never have been. Say what you will, be when he left ORU, he left the program in worse shape than when he inherited it. PERIOD.

Rob, I appreciate you, man, but too much bragging on Barry after handing us a pretty humiliating and disappointing loss, on our board, is pretty hard for ORU fans to take.

But, voice, you have to look at the team that Barry's assembled there and be pretty impressed. That was a great team in many aspects of the game. Think what you will about Hinson, he's worked himself into a pretty nice team.

Guest Rob Marshall

Tim, obviously I'm an ORU fan too, so I understand what you're saying.

Bottom line, one game does NOT a season make. MSU is a very good team; they play the game the right way, they are well coached and are deserving of credit for great preparation and gaining a quality road win last night.

To ORU fans I simply say this, ORU is going to have a nice year, win 20+ games, and has a great shot at winning three games at the UMAC in March for an automatic ticket to the field of 65. Lots to be encouraged about ... we're in the Mid Con NOT the Missouri Valley! :wink:

Ok tmh...Barry has built a team equivalent (perhaps) to Alford's last team and it only took him 7+ years to do so.

Still not overly impressed.

Guest Rob Marshall

Mikey, what do you think of the ORU coaching staff? Care to assess their progress in the last seven years? No need to hold back now ...

Did you know ...

(1) MSU has the third best record in Valley conference games during Barry's tenure behind Creighton and Southern Illinois, and has consistently finished higher in the regular season standings than Steve Alford ever did.

(2) MSU has the second best Valley Conference Tournament record to Creighton on Barry's watch. Alford won ONE (1) Valley Tournament (his last year) and got two (2) great draws in the NCAA brackets, making the most of his ONE (1) NCAA appearance with the Bears.

(3) Barry has been to two (2) NIT's with a 2-2 record; Alford went to one (1) NIT.

It seems some posters are under the impression that this board is the Barry Hinson Fan Club or a venue to discuss Missouri State hoops. It is neither. Please stay on topic.