5/19 Dave Sittler Tulsa World column - ORU's Sutton Ready to Take on Big Schools

Old Titan

ORU's Sutton Ready to Take on Big Schools

By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Columnist

5/19/2007

Five weeks later, Scott Sutton still hasn't second-guessed himself. He's about the only one who hasn't.

Even some of Sutton's family members were as shocked as the rest of us when he turned down the opportunity to take a major step up the college basketball coaching ladder. Sutton rejected an offer from Wichita State, opting at the last minute to remain at Oral Roberts University.

"I'm at peace with it," Sutton said of the stunning decision, which included giving up an opportunity to more than double his salary and taking a job in the Missouri Valley Conference, the nation's best mid-major basketball league.

More than anything, Sutton's decision demonstrated that at 36 he's become his own man. It's no secret that Sutton's father (Eddie) and older brother (Sean) strongly encouraged him to seize the opportunity.

The Wichita State job offered the Sutton family the perfect scenario, starting with Eddie replacing Scott at ORU. With Sean coaching Oklahoma State, it would have become the Sutton version of the Bermuda Basketball Triangle between Tulsa, Stillwater and Wichita.

Scott Sutton's ability to say no to his legendary father sent a stronger message than the second surprise he

pulled a few days later. That move involved the hiring of Conley Clarke as ORU's director of basketball operations.

Clarke, of course, is the father of Rotnei Clarke. The younger Clarke, a deadeye-shooting guard who will be a senior next season at Verdigris High School, has become one of the hottest prospects in the nation.

Tulsa, Missouri State and ORU were the first schools to show interest in Clarke. That list now includes OSU, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Arizona State, Marquette and several more.

Hiring Conley Clarke demonstrated that Sutton is crafty. But refusing to take another job just to keep peace in his family showed that Sutton has plenty of substance to him, the type of grit and determination it's going to take when he's butting recruiting heads with Bill Self and other coaches at big-time programs who want Rotnei Clarke.

Adding a family member to your staff doesn't always work, as Baylor football coach Guy Morriss found out last year. Morriss hired Canton (Texas) High School coach Gary Joe Kinne to coach linebackers, hoping for a package deal that included Kinne's son, G.J. Kinne, one of the nation's top prep quarterback prospects.

G.J. Kinne gave an oral commitment to Baylor. But when Texas coach Mack Brown entered the recruiting picture late, the younger Kinne said adios to his father and the Bears and signed with the Longhorns last February.

Coaches at big-time programs are bound to tell Rotnei Clarke that "you can't get there from there." In other words, he won't realize his NBA dream if he signs with ORU. Sutton can counter that negative recruiting tactic with two words: Bryce Drew.

Drew was a national recruit who ignored the negative recruiting warnings and signed to play for his father at Valparaiso University. ORU saw a lot of Drew when the schools were members of the Mid-Continent Conference.

Playing in a conference that seldom receives national attention didn't hinder Drew, who was a first-round draft choice of the Houston Rockets. Not only did Drew have a solid NBA career, he married a cheerleader from the Atlanta Hawks.

NCAA rules prohibit Sutton from talking about any potential recruits. But it's safe to assume he's mentioned the successful path Drew took to the NBA to Clarke.

Sutton can discuss why he shocked the Wichita State Shockers and the rest of the college basketball world. After eight seasons as ORU's coach, Sutton was getting in his car to make the drive to Wichita to accept the job when he changed his mind.

"It's a gamble, because it was a great job (offer)," Sutton said.

Some believe Sutton committed professional suicide. Will other schools with openings shy away from him?

"I think if you do it three or four times that people would assume that," Sutton said. "But I don't know about one time. Especially because this was the first time I really got serious about another job."

After turning down the Shockers, Sutton signed a contract extension with ORU through the 2014 season. He insists that he could stay at ORU another 10 years, or even longer.

"I can definitely see myself here a long time," he said. "I still think we can do some things here that we haven't done yet."

One goal would be to sign a national recruit like Clarke. In that vein, one observer said he wouldn't be surprised if Sutton "also hires Rotnei Clarke's mother."

Hey, whatever it takes. And Scott Sutton has demonstrated the past few weeks that he's got what it takes.

Sittler really wanted to see Eddie coach at ORU..... The article is correct in that Scott is his own man and his decision to stay at ORU defied conventional (and family?) wisdom. He is comfortable at ORU and enjoys the relationships he has built. And he is loyal. There will come a time when he decides to move on, but now was not the time. I also think that he wants to prove to critics that he can sustain ORU past the Green-Tutt era. With this year's recruiting class and the possibility of next year - he could be building on the foundation Green & Tutt established.

Scott is definitely looking at a recruiting tool that might backfire more than he expects, depending on what kind of a senior year Rotnei has...he could go somewhere else and then Clarke's father could be feeling unnecessary at ORU when his son is playing his collegiate ball somewhere else. I mean I'd like to see you guys have the success of a big recruit of national perspective, but I don't see it being the biggest story as someone of a Greg Oden variety is out there. It will be good to hear what kind of things happen for you guys, but this hire should be watched very carefully next year, because other schools have done this with superstar's AAU coaches and parents all the time now and it can be a disaster.

Scott is definitely looking at a recruiting tool that might backfire more than he expects, depending on what kind of a senior year Rotnei has...he could go somewhere else and then Clarke's father could be feeling unnecessary at ORU when his son is playing his collegiate ball somewhere else. I mean I'd like to see you guys have the success of a big recruit of national perspective, but I don't see it being the biggest story as someone of a Greg Oden variety is out there. It will be good to hear what kind of things happen for you guys, but this hire should be watched very carefully next year, because other schools have done this with superstar's AAU coaches and parents all the time now and it can be a disaster.

What on earth do you know about Scott Sutton?

Or Conley Clarke and his life-long relationship with members of the ORU coaching staff?

Or Rotnei Clarke and his recruitment?

Do you really not think everyone involved in this decision hasn't considered your incredibly obvious concerns?

I can't help but question the motivation of your post on our message board when it's obviously a not-so-veiled criticism of our coach.

We're never going to play you guys again - why do you even care what we do with our recruiting?

With all due respect, I know I couldn't care less about anything you guys are doing on the recruiting front.

Doesn't Butler have a message board you can go troll? :x

I was impressed with this article.  Dave made some good points.  The comparison to Bryce Drew (and hopefully Caleb Green if he is able to make an NBA squad) was an interesting one.

If Rotnei goes to ORU, it is possible that they could run the offense through him, like Bill Self did with Tim Gill.  So the comparison to Bryce Drew could apply.

I still hope we play Valpo in the future, if the athletic departments can work it out.

What on earth do you know about Scott Sutton?

Or Conley Clarke and his life-long relationship with members of the ORU coaching staff?

Or Rotnei Clarke and his recruitment?

Do you really not think everyone involved in this decision hasn't considered your incredibly obvious concerns?

I can't help but question the motivation of your post on our message board when it's obviously a not-so-veiled criticism of our coach.

We're never going to play you guys again - why do you even care what we do with our recruiting?

With all due respect, I know I couldn't care less about anything you guys are doing on the recruiting front.

Doesn't Butler have a message board you can go troll? :x

OT - how do you really feel about this?  If you keep this up, you might get a reputation for being surly!  :-D

Valporun...buddy 'ol pal, your post has got me scratching my head to figure out the logic and reasoning behind your statments. Is is jealousy or just plain ol ignorance? The Greg Oden/ Rotnei Clarke comparison? Where did that come from???

OT - how do you really feel about this?  If you keep this up, you might get a reputation for being surly!  :-D

I suffer fools poorly.

And Valpo fans.

But, I repeat myself... :wink:

Valporun...buddy 'ol pal, your post has got me scratching my head to figure out the logic and reasoning behind your statments. Is is jealousy or just plain ol ignorance? The Greg Oden/ Rotnei Clarke comparison? Where did that come from???

I suffer fools poorly.

And Valpo fans.

Well said.  I thought with their leaving the conference that they could find somewhere to hang out besides our message board.  I guess their lives are just too dull without ORU. As said before, "don't feed the trolls."  :roll:

Or the business majors can quote the Czar, "What do we do with fools?  We shun them."