Missions Letter (Donation Request) from Luke Spencer-Gardner

ORUTerry

The Golden Eagle Club sent this letter out via e-mail this morning. I thought some of you might be interested in donating money to help Luke.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please find attached below a letter from Luke Spencer-Gardner, Oral Roberts University Golden Eagles men's basketball point guard, 2000-2005.

Dear Golden Eagles Fan,                                                                  May 17, 2007

I hope this letter finds you well. As many of you know, I am currently attending the University of Kansas School of Medicine. I am glad to say that I have just completed my first year of study.  I am writing to notify you that I will be one of 5 medical students from our class embarking on a medical mission trip to Guatemala from June 23rd to July 1st.  The trip is set up through the International Outreach Organization at the University of Kansas Medical Center.  The primary purpose of this trip will be to fulfill the otolaryngology, (ear nose and throat surgeons), general practice and dentistry needs of children in remote areas of Guatemala.  A vast majority of these children have not been fortunate enough to have ever seen a doctor or dentist. Many of their needs are quite urgent.  I will work part of the time in a rural clinic. Beyond that I'll be in the operating room assisting on surgery cases.

I am so excited about the trip!  I never traveled on a mission trip while I was a student-athlete at ORU.  I always felt I should stay in Tulsa to take classes and work on my basketball game.  Mission work will be a part of my life in the future.  This trip as the first step towards making that goal a reality.

Each team member was asked to raise $1,800.00 to cover their share of the cost of the mission trip.  This includes our airfare, transportation, accommodations, medical supplies, meals, etc.

My years as a student-athlete at ORU opened my eyes to the significance of Oral Roberts? mandate from God, ?to go into every person?s world,? to spread the good news of knowing Christ.  I feel that this mission trip will be the impetus to my future plans to use my medical skills to help the needy of the world.

If you feel compelled to support my fundraising efforts, please send donations to the ORU Golden Eagle Club.  This will mean that your donation is tax-deductible.  Please be in prayer for the medical team and our patients also. I am hoping that many souls will be blessed by our visit.

Thank you for helping me fulfill God?s plan for my life.

Sincerely yours,

Luke Spencer-Gardner

ORU Golden Eagles Men?s Basketball Point Guard

2000 ? 2005

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mail check to:

ORU Golden Eagle Club

Athletic Department

Oral Roberts University

7777 South Lewis Avenue

Tulsa, OK  74171