ORU v. Centenary - Game #1

Bogus Smith

Nice job by Chance Chapman tonight as the Golden Eagles take care of business with the Gents, 12 - 1.  Chance breaks the record for the number of strikeouts in a game with 19!!  He breaks the record of 17 set a couple of times (including once earlier this season against Arkansas).  When you think about it, there are 27 outs in a baseball game per team - and 19 of them were by pitcher!!  Amazing work by Chance tonight (next week's Mid-Con Pitcher of the Week).

GO EAGLES!!

Missed seeing you guys there, Bogus.  You missed an incredible display of pitching tonight.  In the mid- to late innings, when he was pitching his best, Chapman struck out eight in a row.  One of those innings - maybe the seventh - he didn't pitch more than eleven or twelve pitches to get the three strikeouts.  As we saw in the game against Arkansas, when Chapman really has his stuff, the batters rarely swing.  He just blows pitch after pitch past them; if they do try to swing, they miss the ball by a large margin.  He was simply incredible tonight.  I'm sorry that some of the regulars weren't there to see the history being made - I missed seeing ORUTerry, OT, or the Smiths - I know you guys would have enjoyed the event.

On the other hand, Centenary's pitching was pitiful.  By the end of the game they were pitching anyone.  Their final pitcher hadn't pitched before tonight this season - this was his first inning pitched all year.

Nice win for the Eagles.  The parents of several players were at the game, including Chapman's, Jake's, Pat Warfle's, and some others.  It was a pretty good crowd, all things considered.