36th year at ORU: Keeping the faith (Tulsa World) May 10, 2007

ORUTerry

36th year at ORU: Keeping the faith

Glenn Smith, ORU?s head athletic trainer for the past 36 years, has worked from his office in the Mabee Center since it opened.

by JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer

5/10/2007

Glenn Smith has had a lifetime of chances to leave Tulsa. But no pasture was ever greener than the one at the corner of 81st Street and Lewis Avenue.

Smith, 61, is in his 36th year as the head athletic trainer at Oral Roberts University.

Smith grew up in Tulsa and graduated from Rogers High School. He attended Oklahoma State in the late 1960s and was the Cowboys' football and basketball trainer when Henry P. Iba retired.

In '71, Smith ran into Oral Roberts by chance. Roberts had just read a Sports Illustrated article on the Los Angeles Lakers losing Wilt Chamberlain to an injury -- an article Smith also had read -- and asked Smith whether he thought he could get Chamberlain healthy in time for the NBA playoffs.

"I didn't know anything about Oral Roberts other than he was in my hometown out here on a pastureland south of town," Smith said. "I said, 'With all the modalities you'd let me get to work on him, ultrasound, stimulation machines, let alone you praying for him, I know we could get him back.' "

Right answer. Smith was offered a job that day, and he's never left.

There were times he was close. Smith said former Evansville University coach Bobby Watson offered him a job five times because, in part, their wives were such close friends. Smith almost accepted the last time, shortly before Watson and 13 others with the team were killed in a 1977 airplane crash.

Even as ORU's men's basketball team went through nine coaching changes, Smith never left. He eventually met his wife, Mona, on a basketball trip to Omaha, Neb., and raised two children, Josh and Rachel.

"My kids grew up here," Smith said, "all around campus all the time, summer camps, playing at Mabee Center -- I couldn't find my son every once in a while; he'd be up playing in the skywalk."

It also didn't hurt that Smith was a near-world class racquetball player at a time when the sport was peaking in popularity. Smith's racquetball skills, it seems, were quite in demand on the ORU campus during the '70s and '80s.

"Oral Roberts was my partner," he said. "He'd always invite guys from his various bank boards of directors to play, and we'd meet them every Thursday night at 7, and we'd beat them. Then he could brag for the next week to his buddies at the board meetings."

At times, Smith would fire a shot that inadvertently hit an opponent in the backside. Roberts' reaction?

"He'd just say, 'Oh, praise the Lord,' " Smith said.

I remember seeing Smitty being picked up after the basketball games by Mona (an Evangel College grad) in her little Porshe in the 70's. They both radiate the joy for life that they had then. What a great story. To quote Smitty, "just doin' it for the ministry babe."

I had him for HPE I...does he still teach?

Smitty symbolizes what is right and good about ORU and ORU sports, especially basketball. How often do young men get to be around such men of character? God bless Smitty and God bless ORU.

If we ever inducted a non student-athlete into the Hall of Fame, Smitty would/should be the first to enter the Hall (and I would bet that a "boatload" of athletes would return for that Hall of Fame night).

If we ever inducted a non student-athlete into the Hall of Fame, Smitty would/should be the first to enter the Hall (and I would bet that a "boatload" of athletes would return for that Hall of Fame night).

Great point, Bogus.  In fact, at some point I hope we are able to honor Smitty in a special way outside of just HOF.  In addition to some sort of ceremony, there should he a scholarship named after him, or a new building, or something.  If there was EVER an individual that personified what ORU stands for, it's Glen Smith.  His NAME should remain connected with the program even when he's not.

Great point, Bogus.  In fact, at some point I hope we are able to honor Smitty in a special way outside of just HOF.  In addition to some sort of ceremony, there should he a scholarship named after him, or a new building, or something.  If there was EVER an individual that personified what ORU stands for, it's Glen Smith.  His NAME should remain connected with the program even when he's not.

He would probably be tickled at the gesture, but I bet he would never show up for the ceremony!

"Emmett" (his nickname back in the day) has never wanted any recognition for the many things he does, not only for the athletic department but for the school as a whole.

He's just a great guy who loves doing his job.

And he has a story to tell about practically everyone he's ever known.

I keep telling him he should write a book - you would not BELIEVE some of the tales he has to tell!  :-o

"Emmett" (his nickname back in the day) has never wanted any recognition for the many things he does, not only for the athletic department but for the school as a whole.

That's actually his real name.  He's the original Emmitt Smith!

That's actually his real name.  He's the original Emmitt Smith!

Yeah, I know - I just didn't know if HE wanted everyone to know that!

I'vs always figured he went by "Glenn" for a reason. :wink:

a first class guy and when i see him i always kid him about writing a book

Smitty is one of my favorite people at ORU. NIce to see him get some recognition for all his hard work and loyalty.

Great idea, Bogus! Get that ball rolling.  Smitty for Hall of Fame!