An Opportunity Missed

tmh8286

Tonight was an opportunity to show we could compete with other Mid-Major teams. That we could compete with quality teams from other conferences. That our hyped players were really worthy of the hype.

But we didn't. This can still be a special season, but we are going to have to start picking up some wins somewhere in these contested games. Next up are seven games on the road. It will be one month to the day before we will see another game at the Mabee Center. There will be no opportunities to shine over the next month that will be any easier than the one we had tonight.

Hopefully the players and the coaching staff can get things pulled together before they play Northern Colorado on Sunday, or it's going to be a LONG month.

Our offensive production at the guard spot has really declined this year. Our starting guards shot combined to shoot 6 of 26 from the field (23%) and only 2 of 14 from the arc (14%). TO / Asst ratio of 3 to 9 not too bad, but we really have a problem out front offensively. Really frustrating to see JB keep jacking it up when he was stone cold. We were in jail early with the fouls on Mickey and Caleb, and we got out-rebounded on both ends of the floor. Owens and Riouse were about the only bright spots. Shooting is a very real problem at this point, and we continue to show up for only half a game. Hope they can figure it out, but not going to be easy with 7 on the road coming up.

I just can't see how anybody can deny how much we miss LSG...as a defender and a general on the floor. JB's great but even in his senior year I'd rather have somebody taller, more level headed, and a great defensive threat leading the team with JB getting significant minutes off the bench than what we have at status quo. Nothing we can do about that so I'll stop whining but man, I'm frustrated. Thank God Larry stepped up but I think by the end of the game, ya gotta say as Caleb goes, so do the Eagles.

What's happened to our outside shooting? 34% for the season so far for Tutt, 21.2% for Bluitt, and 30.7% overall as a team.

We can't expect Caleb, Mickey, and Larry to shoulder the team on offense.

Tutt and Bluitt are absolutely KILLING us. The sick part is most of Bluitt's attempts are wide open.

Tutt and Bluitt are absolutely KILLING us. The sick part is most of Bluitt's attempts are wide open.

Among SEVERAL criticisms I had about coaching last night was that we didn't call a time out, get on to JB for jacking up the ball every trip down the court, and set up some sort of legitimate screen play for our better three point shooters. This year I think even Caleb is shooting three pointers better than JB.

We definitely know Mickey is shooting better 3s then Bluit. I yelled "what

the @$%()* are your doing" on Mickey's first 3 attempt, then it bounced around the backboard and went in. He was vindicated. Still what a

pitiful game. Is it too early to give up hope?

I agree that we miss LSG, and yes, as previously stated, that is life. Having been a point guard and shooting guard (in a previous life), I was disappointed in Bluitt's play during the Shootout. If he normally plays like he did against USC, then ORU is going to be in trouble all year. I also was disappointed in Tutt's performance and don't want to give up on him after one chance to see him play...

I will be in Greeley to see ORU hopefully dismanted UNC...anything less than a 20 point lead at halftime will be unacceptable. I also expect at least a 20 point victory, which is less than it should be, however, playing our bench most of the 2nd half should account for that.