Jordan Jr.

ManiacVP

Michael Jordan's son plans to play for Illinois

April 27, 2007

AP - Apr 27, 3:48 pm EDT

More Photos

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) -- Jeffrey Jordan, the son of Michael Jordan, plans to attend Illinois next year and play basketball as a walk-on.

Jordan, a 6-2 guard at Loyola Academy prep school in Wilmette, Ill., said in a news release Friday he chose Illinois over Valparaiso.

"After I worked out at Illinois, (met) with the coaching staff and the players, and toured the campus with my mom, I just felt more comfortable with U of I," he said.

The 18-year-old Jordan was a three-year starter at Loyola Academy and two-year All Catholic League player.

After working out at Illinois last week, Jordan told Illinois coach Bruce Weber about his plans Wednesday.

"He's a quality kid who is very competitive and passionate about basketball," Weber said in an e-mailed statement. "He's made great strides over the last year as a player and is an excellent student who should be a great fit here at the University of Illinois."

A message left for Michael Jordan with the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats, the team of which he is a part owner, was not returned.

As a walk-on, Jordan will have not been on scholarship and will not sign a letter of intent, meaning his commitment is nonbinding.