ORU's recruit pursuit heats up /Finkbeiner's staying -TW (4/27/07)

vcboy2000

ORU's recruit pursuit heats up

Tulsa World Link

by: BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer

4/27/2007

Oral Roberts has hired Conley Clarke, the father of Oklahoma's No. 1 basketball recruit -- Verdigris guard Rotnei Clarke, who will be a senior next season.

Conley Clarke becomes ORU's director of basketball operations.

Some fans and even some media members have been quick to predict that Rotnei Clarke, because his dad is on the ORU staff, will sign with the Golden Eagles.

If that happens, it would be the greatest recruiting triumph in school history.

Keep in mind that Clarke has gotten scholarship offers from a bunch of schools, including Tulsa, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Gonzaga, Arizona State, Marquette, Missouri State, Nebraska, UNLV, Washington State and West Virginia. At last count, he had received more than 1,200 letters from Division I programs.

In its quest to sign Clarke, ORU does have advantages:

Clarke is a Christian. The ORU campus is the state capital of Christianity, and it is within minutes of Clarke's home.

The Mabee Center is a great place to play.

Clarke would start every game of his career. The offense would run through him. He'd be the face of the program.

ORU also has disadvantages:

Very few of its games are televised.

Beyond ORU and Oakland, the Mid-Continent Conference is a weak league.

Even in the best of seasons, ORU be hard-pressed to get better than a 14 seed in any NCAA Tournament.

Everyone knows the adage, "You can't score if you don't shoot." ORU took a big shot this week. The hiring of Conley Clarke, who had been a Verdigris assistant, was a bold move. But whether the Golden Eagles score -- whether they can sign dynamic Rotnei -- won't be known for several months.

By the end of the summer, Clarke is expected to announce his short list of possible college destinations.

More on Clarke: While it is believed TU coach Doug Wojcik remains a prominent presence in the Rotnei Clarke derby, do not underestimate the persuasive powers of OU's Jeff Capel. Sources say Capel has worked hard and effectively on the recruiting of Clarke. The Sooners certainly need guards. Their 2006-07 backcourt play was horrendous.

Finkbeiner's staying: On the back page of the April 21 Tulsa World sports section was an interesting headline: "ORU's Finkbeiner applies for UW-Green Bay post."

Finkbeiner, 50, is the consummate Oral Roberts coach. A Christian man who embraces the ORU culture. A coach who, in 11 seasons, has recorded 177 victories and made three NCAA Tournament appearances.

A move from ORU to a Big 12 or SEC job would make sense. But a move to Wisconsin-Green Bay would seem lateral. Why would Finkbeiner even consider it? Is he at odds with the ORU administration?

While admitting he did submit a resume to Wisconsin-Green Bay, Finkbeiner says he has a "good and solid relationship" with ORU President Richard Roberts and athletic director Mike Carter.

"I like ORU. I'm not going anywhere," Finkbeiner said on Thursday. "I've been challenged (by Carter) -- what do we need to do to go beyond a conference championship? We're so close to where we want to be."

Change of heart: Remember the Arkansas-Dana Altman debacle? Altman accepted the Razorback basketball job, then returned to Creighton less than 24 hours later.

Essentially the same thing happened to the Wisconsin-Green Bay women's basketball program. The school hired Aaron Johnston on Wednesday. On Thursday, one hour before his introductory press conference, he resigned and returned to his old job at South Dakota State.

Help wanted: McLain High School officially has begun its search for a boys' basketball coach. Athletic director Luther Pegues, who coached the Titans for 13 seasons before Shea Seals had the job for two years, says he will not return to the basketball position. Last week, Seals became the new head coach at Booker T. Washington.

Strong words: In the current issue of the Sporting News, columnist Matt Hayes drops the hammer on Arkansas football coach Houston Nutt.

"It's time for Houston Nutt to go," Hayes wrote. "Right now -- before the long, hot days of summer and before the steaming stench of a soap opera further damages the Arkansas football program. . . . Nutt must take a buyout and walk away for the good of the program. Too much damage has been done already."

There is a lot going on below the surface..... I have a feeling that people who think they know - really don't. Should be an interesting summer.

I think the pros and cons Haisten listed for Rotnei playing at ORU were fair. He's also right about Capel. Never underestimate the Jedi mind tricks of a dookie. I still say that he is either @ ORU or goes out of state.

Here's a quick question for you. Dad's love to see their sons play. If Rotnei doesn't sign with ORU, will Scott give him time off to go see Rotnei play? I'm sure Coach Clarke has thought about this before asking for the job.  8-)

Also glad to hear Jerry is sticking around. It looks like his quest for a challenge has been met by Mike Carter. I hope things continue to bode well for him.

The pressure on this young man is going to be intense..... when you hear names like Kansas and Duke - as well as scores of other 'big name' schools - you know that the recruiting is going to be fierce. It is curious that he has not even narrowed his choices down, although I guess that he will do that this summer. Rotnei has had some time to consider his decision (he has been on the radar for quite a while) and I would think that he has a short list in his mind already. It appears that he likes the process and attention - or he is still struggling with the decision. There was some talk a few weeks/months ago that he could delay his decision until next Spring. That is a long time to go through this process.

It is hard for me to think that Rotnei would pass up the opportunity to play for a program like Kansas or Duke. They are the pinnacle of basketball schools. He might not want to travel to North Carolina, but Kansas is but a short drive for his family. Then again, he might consider what happened to Winn Case at Kansas. He was a prolific scorer from Oklahoma who signed with KU and basically sat the bench his whole career. Prestigious but not very satisfying.

And Rotnei did not jump at the offer Bill Self extended to him a few weeks ago... that tells me something. The advantages of ORU are:

1. A quality coaching staff that has shown that they know how to develop talent. These players sign with a program/school, but the most important consideration should be the coach - what is his temperment, philosophy, etc. They will have to 'live' together for the next four years.

2. ORU has a Christian environment (and coaching staff) that is consistent with Rotnei's belief system. This could be huge and will certainly (should) be a consideration.

3. Rotnei would be the focus of attention - ala Caleb Green. He would have the opportunity to start and play from the outset. Clarke would get local attention, as well as national press, as shown by Caleb Green's experience.

4. Rotnei would able to play in front of family and friends here in Tulsa. They would able to follow his career and accomplishments in person.

There was some talk a few weeks/months ago that he could delay his decision until next Spring. That is a long time to go through this process.

The one advantage to this is that he would be able see the teams and coaches on his short list in action up close and personal.

The one advantage to this is that he would be able see the teams and coaches on his short list in action up close and personal.

I've been convinced for years that this is the best way to go for someone like Rotnei ... wait until the spring after your senior year to decide - especially if you enjoy the process as much as it seems he does.  All waiting will do for Rotnei is give him more exposure and keep his name on the lips of recruiters all across the country for a much longer period of time.  If he were to sign early with a program like OU, Gonzaga, Kansas, etc. He would get a day or two of intense publicity but would then be regulated to just getting a mention whenever the school's incoming class is mentioned.  But if he holds out, then as he keeps putting up big numbers people continue to ask the "where" questions and it keeps Rotnei in the national spotlight longer.

Gary Parrish of CBS Sportsline wrote an article about a couple of kids that are benefiting from that very factor this year:  http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasket ... y/10139299

But when does it get to be too much? Wouldn't you just get tired of all the phone calls, visits, etc? At some point you just have to make a decision.... Some kids know what they want and decide to get that decision behind them so they can enjoy their senior year. In Rotnei's case, it would not be a case of getting a 'better' offer as he seems to be getting interest from "everyone". The only advantage is a longer "15 minutes of fame".

In Rotnei's case, it would not be a case of getting a 'better' offer as he seems to be getting interest from "everyone". The only advantage is a longer "15 minutes of fame".

There's a BIG difference between getting interest and getting offers ... outside of the known offer from KU, the other biggies (Duke, UNC, etc.) have only shown lots of interest - but don't currently have offers on the table (correct me if I'm wrong). 

If Kansas is offering, you can assume the others (or most of them) will be offering too. Rotnei's stiff arm of KU might keep the others from offering until they know he will accept. I have heard that Gonzaga offered him this week. I know Marquette has been very persistent.

If Kansas is offering, you can assume the others (or most of them) will be offering too. Rotnei's stiff arm of KU might keep the others from offering until they know he will accept. I have heard that Gonzaga offered him this week. I know Marquette has been very persistent.

I read where the Team Texas coach said KU offered but I've heard differently.  I also noticed that neither premium site, Scout or Rivals, shows the offer from Kansas on Rotnei's profile.  Just curious.

Could have been a 'soft' offer... and remember, these recruiting sites are not the most reliable source of information.

ORUTerry,

I agree with your earlier post on the advantages of ORU.  Rotnei has always said immediate playing time is important to him and ORU would give him that opportunity.  To me it just seems like Rotnei will end up at ORU and they are just down playing the connection of hiring of his dad in the media right now.  I just can't imagine any other reason ORU would hire his dad as the Director of Basketball Operations.

One of Bill Haisten's columns from a couple of weeks ago (right after the Houston AAU tournament - Kingswood?) confirmed from Clarke himself that KU had made the offer.  

The story originally broke from Oklahoma high school recruting guru Greg Swaim, who said on a radio inteview the day before that he "had just got off the phone with Clarke's AAU coach at the Kingswood tournament, who just told me Bill Self of Kansas has offered Rotnei a scholarship."

Swaim seemed convinced at the time that "we should be hearing a verbal commitment to Kansas from Rotnei Clarke any day now."

Then came Haisten's column the next morning, where Clarke is soft-quoted as saying he wanted to wait until November to even have a short list, much less a verbal commitment or signing.

In the two weeks since then, Swaim has had Clarke leaning toward Tulsa, but in the wake of the Conley Clarke hiring has said flat out, "Rotnei Clarke is going to ORU".

Haisten seemed to think a week ago that OSU was in on Rotnei, but now has indicated OU is in the running.  Doesn't seem to put much credence into Rotnei coming to ORU.

It's kind of funny seeing all of the so-called experts falling all over themselves being wrong on this kid.

Reminds me of a line from an old Dire Straits song:  "Two men on a street corner saying they're Jesus - at least one of 'em must be wrong." 8-)

They don't know squat.... but they make their living convincing people that they do. We are left to reading tea leaves. It's kind of like when American political pundits were trying to decipher what was happening in the Kremlin and who the next Soviet leader might be. Everyone keep a look out for the white puff of smoke.

Love the mixed metaphor - the white smoke is for when they choose a new Pope.

I think the Russians only debated their next premier for as long as the vodka held out. :-D

I knew you would get it..... it was kinda the same thing don't you think?

I read where the Team Texas coach said KU offered but I've heard differently.  I also noticed that neither premium site, Scout or Rivals, shows the offer from Kansas on Rotnei's profile.  Just curious.

You've got to think that those schools that have been on Rotnei since the beginning will have more of an advantage in the end.

Nobody has the "inside" scoop on where Rotnei is going. Not Haisten. Not Swaim. Nobody. Rotnei himself hasn't even decided.