Wichita State AD has plan in place - Wichita Eagle (4-11-2007)

ORUTerry

Wichita State AD has plan in place

BY PAUL SUELLENTROP

The Wichita Eagle

Wichita Eagle Link

Wichita State athletic director Jim Schaus took a break from searching for a men's basketball coach to deliver a pep talk Tuesday. His next appearance will likely be when he introduces his new coach, perhaps later this week. WSU's new coach will likely own head-coaching experience and have connections to this part of the country.

Fans, players or recruits down about the departure of coach Mark Turgeon to Texas A&M couldn't miss the message: Turgeon, architect of some of WSU's best basketball moments, is gone. WSU basketball is not.

"I am very, very excited about our future," Schaus said at news conference in Koch Arena. "The search is in full swing. I am very confident that we will be able to hire a high-level coach, a national-level coach to lead this program in the future."

Missouri Valley Conference commissioner Doug Elgin feels the same way, in large part because of Schaus and WSU president Don Beggs. Schaus' experience at a variety of schools and conferences and his connections make him a talented evaluator of coaches, Elgin said.

"Beggs and Schaus have created what you have to call a model program," Elgin said. "I have a lot of respect for that pair."

Schaus will conduct the search himself, with help from Dallas executive search firm Eastman & Beaudine. His relationships with other athletic directors, coaches and conference officials will help him evaluate candidates.

Work started Friday, when Turgeon helpfully let Schaus know about his interest in the Texas A&M job. Schaus has a list. Most background and preparation work is done. As of Tuesday afternoon, he said he was close to beginning face-to-face contact with candidates.

"We're getting there," he said. "We're focused. We're narrowing down the search to more on the profile of what we feel is going to be best for our program."

Schaus definitely believes it is best to work quickly.

The signing period for recruits begins today. Prospective players are pondering other options. Current players are unsettled after Turgeon's departure. Fans are ready for good news.

"I believe we can do this search in approximately a week," he said. "We will do it in less time, in several days, if we can."

Schaus wants to wrap up his work soon, as long as he finds the right person. That is a delicate balance, according to Missouri State athletic director Bill Rowe.

"Sometimes you can feel pressured into doing something in a hurry, because everyone wants to get it done fast," Rowe said. "Jim is very, very level-headed and can really evaluate in a rational way."

The high points of Schaus' breakdown on the search:

? The job is attractive because of the strength of the Missouri Valley Conference, the salaries, the facilities, attendance, history, TV and budget.

"Certainly it's a much better job today then it was seven years ago when it attracted Mark Turgeon," Schaus said. "We have had a tremendous amount of calls from all over the country. I would say it's 10 times the number it was seven years ago."

? Turgeon made a base salary $750,000 in his final season at WSU. Schaus said the next salary will be commensurate with experience.

"I think our commitment is to hire a high-level coach," he said. "One could expect our commitment is going to be in that range."

? Schaus did not rule out considering an assistant, or a coach from another part of the United States. However, there are characteristics he favors. Most of those are found in head coaches familiar with this part of the country.

"There are built-in advantages in considering a coach that has head coaching experience, because they've been a leader," he said. "If they've had a program that has been successful at the highest level of their league, maybe participated in postseason play, that proves to me that if they can do it there, they can do it at a program similar to ours."

? The search firm helps Schaus with background checks. The firm will not recommend or select candidates. He said the cost has not yet been determined.

"They make the process go a lot faster," he said.

? Schaus will try to keep the process confidential.

"We will soon put the periscope down," he said. "We will submerge for a little while."

? Turgeon's departure was not about salary.

"I don't think at any point that money was a factor for him," Schaus said. "Mark knows how we feel about him. I think there were other factors that were important to him, that were more competitive issues."

Paul Suellentrop covers Wichita State sports. Reach him at 316-269-6760 or psuellentrop@wichitaeagle.com.