Sutton still appears in WSU mix - Tulsa World (4-11-2007)

ORUTerry

Sutton still appears in WSU mix

Tulsa World Link

by MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

4/11/2007

According to press outlets, ORU coach is likely candidate.

Speculation grew Tuesday that Oral Roberts head basketball coach Scott Sutton would be the next head coach at Wichita State.

But WSU athletic director Jim Schaus told the Wichita Eagle Tuesday, "there's no individual that has been targeted."

It seems likely that Schuas put Sutton's name on his list after he knew Mark Turgeon would be leaving WSU to become Billy Gillispie's Texas A&M successor.

On Tuesday, Turgeon was named as A&M's head coach and Schaus met with the media a few minutes later to discuss the WSU coaching search.

"That search actually started several days ago. I had a few days head notice that I believed that this was a possibility and have worked very diligently to position our program to be able to hit the ground running," Schaus said.

He said the process has gotten complicated by the number of "top (coaching) names" who have phoned from all over the country to recommend candidates.

"I believe we can do this search probably in approximately a week," he said.

On Monday, CBS Sportsline named Sutton, 36, as a likely candidate. Reports started circulating out of Wichita that he was the overwhelming choice.

"With the great job (Sutton)'s done, you would think his name would come up in relation to any job within the region," said Barry Hinson, Missouri State head coach and ORU's coach before Sutton succeeded him eight years ago.

"I would be surprised . . . if Sutton isn't one of the coaches Schaus will consider," Wichita Eagle columnist Bob Lutz wrote Tuesday morning.

Sutton was seen in his office until about noon Tuesday. He has not returned calls placed to his cell phone by the Tulsa World in two days.

WSU fans are excited by a coach who is 2-0 in his career against the Shockers, beat third-ranked Kansas during the 2006-07 season and took ORU to back-to-back NCAA Tournaments.

"Anybody who can beat KU is OK with me," a fan posted on the ShockerNet message board.