Leah Cannon

ladyeagle10

I am not able to make it to many games b/c I live out of state, so can anyone tell me why Leah Cannon hasn't been getting as much PT or even not starting a couple of games. She is probably the best point guard to play under Coach Fink and has the Mid-Con record for assists and about to break the school record. Just curious. Thanks.

I've seen most of the ORU home games this year, and noticed the same about Leah not getting her ususal playing time. The coach rotates the entire lineup for substitution (five at a time) pretty often, so really no one gets the extended amount of time (even Turick) like in the past. Leah plays well when she is in the game, and is one of the few ORU women who looks to pass instead of to shoot (a definite problem with the team). I believe as the season goes on, she'll play more productive minutes. But, there are many good players on this team, so competition for minutes is keen. Newcomer Camargo runs the point a lot. She is taller, faster, and better at penetrating. She looks to shoot first, and then looks to shoot again, and THEN looks to pass.

I also thought she hasn't played much, but in looking at the season stats she is third on the team for min/game. She's averaging almost 20 minutes. Even Elisha Turek is only averaging about 25. Jerry is playing 10 players and last night he substituted 5 at a time. It is great watching them.

I also had heard that Leah had mono at the beginning of the season. I don't know if that is affecting her still.

I guess she is third with minutes, but I don't understand why you don't have your only four year senior, who knows how to get the offense flowing, starting. Probably once conference starts, she will be getting more minutes as games get more important and you need experience out on the court.

Jerry Finkbiner has a new approach this year, which will probably keep the playing time for any one player at less than 30 minutes per game. His goal (and the ladies goal) is to win at least one NCAA tournament game. To do that, he is preparing each player to play 100% all the time. He puts in 5 players until they are run ragged (about 4 minutes of solid, non-stop running, full-court pressing [swarming], crashing the boards, and gunning). He then puts in 5 new players who run themselves into the ground. And so it goes for 40 minutes. If someone doesn't give 100% on the floor, he inserts a player from his "3rd team." It's really exciting to watch, they swarm the other team on defense, and push the ball as quickly as possible down the court, looking for a quick, but good shot. The players love the fast pace. Finkbeiner believes that his team can beat a team with superior talent in the NCAA tournament by out-hustling them and wearing them down. If you haven't seen the ladies play yet, you are missing a real treat. The pace is so fast that, for example Turek's stats are similar to last year with only 25 minutes per game. In their 4 wins the Lady Eagles are averaing 90 points per game. In their two losses to top 25 teams, they are averaging 72.5 ppg. No player, including Lea Cannon, can play very many minutes at that pace without taking a break.

DConner,

Thank you for the insight & after attending my first women's game of the season last night it makes sense & looks like it's working.

Yes, thanks for the insight. I am planning on trying to make the Western Illinois game and look forward to seeing the new style of play. It does sound very exciting.

hey dave good to see you on the board ii still remember the last former coaches showdown fondly should be a good game with oru winning by 10

jg