Re: Tonight's Game - ORU v. WSU

Bogus Smith

Forget about the Sutton Death Watch (tongue-in-cheek for those of you that can't figure that out) and come out to see some high-octane college basketball tonight.  This should be a great game to see some of the best that College Baseball has to provide!!  7:00 - JL Johnson Stadium against #11#10-ranked Wichita State.

Editor's Note:  I just read the Baseball America poll and saw that Wichita State moved up to #10 this week.  Also, our win over Arkansas didn't hurt the Razorbacks at all as they move up from #7 to #6 in this week's poll after going 3-1 for the week.

Oh, man - are we going to have to knock off ANOTHER ranked team tonight???  Well, I guess if somebody's got to do it it may as well be us . . .

Tyson Fugett a freshman LHP (0-0 with 4 appearances 7.1 innings) from Bartlesville gets the start for WSU.  Who is starter for ORU.  Hoping for another great game like last week against Arkansas.

Good guys are ahead 7 - 4 going into the bottom of the 8th.  Really windy and cool tonight at the ballpark.

Thanks, rabbit!  We were out at the ball park till the end of the seventh, along with Bogus and MrsSmith.  It was really a nice evening - cool, but not as cold as I thought it might be, and the wind that had been blowing all day dropped down to a breeze, so it was a nice evening to be out.

And it always helps win the good guys win!

ORU wins 7 - 4 over #10 Wichita State.  Another nice mid-week win for the good guys against a ranked team.  LBSU will be a tough test for the guys.  The Dirtbags are ranked #27 by Collegiate Baseball and fell out of the Top 25 in most of the polls this week when they lost a series with UC-Irvine last weekend.  LBSU is a very good squad and we'll be fortunate to get one of the games in the series (but I'm hopeful for 3 wins this weekend).

Thanks, rabbit!  We were out at the ball park till the end of the seventh, along with Bogus and MrsSmith.  It was really a nice evening - cool, but not as cold as I thought it might be, and the wind that had been blowing all day dropped down to a breeze, so it was a nice evening to be out.

And it always helps win the good guys win!

You must have had a lot heavier coat than I did and you must have been blocked from the wind cause it was BLOWING.  I was getting cold, plus sandals was not a good idea.  It was so warm in the afternoon.  :)

Another giant falls..... Gotta love how Rob Walton gets the guys up for these games.

Another giant falls..... Gotta love how Rob Walton gets the guys up for these games.

If you ask the opposing coaches, they think that we target these games.  The way Rob approaches these games, these are scrimmages just like they are for the power conferences.  I'm glad that he is not making these games bigger than life.  I think it helps prepare them for the Regionals when those games ARE bigger than life.

Did ORU start the Live Stats feature this year?

They are nice to have while listening to the game on the radio.

I think they've had it available for a year or two.  I've found it a bit unreliable this season - or at least it was early on.  Looks like it worked great last night.

If you ask the opposing coaches, they think that we target these games.  The way Rob approaches these games, these are scrimmages just like they are for the power conferences.  I'm glad that he is not making these games bigger than life.  I think it helps prepare them for the Regionals when those games ARE bigger than life.

I know that Arkansas thinks that we put a big 'ol target on them when we play, but Coach Walton does it to everyone.  He brought in Chapman to close out the final game of the Bethune-Cookman game instead of saving him for Wichita State.  Why?  Because he wanted to win the three game serious with BC.  He treats all games the same.  If he didn't, he would have saved Chapman for WSU.

I just absolutely love Rob Walton's style.... so steady and methodical. His players seem to reflect his calm demeanor. Perfect example is the amount of times we throw the ball over to first base to hold (or pick off) the runner. I know it disrupts (frustrates?) the opposing team.... and when they are lulled/bored it results in a pickoff like Tackett had last night.