Green to show off his skills - Tulsa World (4-3-2007)

ORUTerry

Green to show off his skills

by MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

4/3/2007

He will be evaluated by NBA scouts in a Virginia tournament.

Caleb Green's basketball future may depend on how he adapts to unfamiliar teammates and plays in an unfamiliar setting over the next few days. But why worry?

"It's hard to get nervous about something I have no control over," said the Oral Roberts senior forward. "I just have to do what I'm used to doing and what I know I can do."

Green departs Tuesday to play in the Portsmouth (Va.) Invitational Tournament.

The tournament is the only one where graduated seniors may participate and be evaluated by the National Basketball Association before its predraft camp, May 29-June 1 in Orlando, Fla. "If he goes in there and plays well, he can improve his stock. The better he plays, the more it will help," said ORU assistant coach Corey Williams.

Williams said his own play in the same tournament as an Oklahoma State senior in 1992 made the difference in his being a second-round draft pick of the Chicago Bulls.

"People didn't know very much about Dennis Rodman until we had him here in 1986, and he didn't have one tattoo," said tournament director Mahlon Parker, who played in the first Portsmouth Invitational in 1952.

Rodman, who played college basketball at Southeastern (Okla.) State, became one of the top rebounders and defenders in NBA history and was part of five championship teams (two with Detroit, three with Chicago).

The 6-foot-8 Green isn't projected among the top 60 to 100 draft prospects. NBA scouts want to know if he can play more facing the basket than he did in college and whether he can guard NBA power forwards.

But ORU rival coaches said Green's athleticism and offensive skills give him a chance. He broke career scoring and rebounding records in the Mid-Continent Conference while become the league's first three-time player of the year.

"I think he's ready because he's taking his future seriously," Williams said. "He's running every day, getting his mile in, and eating healthier foods. I think he's in the best shape that he's ever been in."

In Portsmouth, the 64 players are divided into eight-man teams. Each squad is guaranteed three games, leading up to the championship on Saturday night. Games are played in the 4,000-seat Churchland High gym in Portsmouth.

Green scored 19 points with six rebounds in the NABC all-star game in Atlanta last Friday night. He was the second-leading scorer for the American squad, which lost to the National team 128-100.

"He hit a couple of jump shots and finished strong around the basket against taller people," Williams said. "I think he was stronger than some people thought he would be."

Mike Brown 581-8390

mike.brown@tulsaworld.com